Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow! What Killer Pastrami!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! What Killer Pastrami!

Click image for larger version

Name:	D6A743E5-7894-4AD6-9AC2-358C3A151A92.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	462492Click image for larger version

Name:	6F88095F-EDCB-4414-8D69-2356A168F3C3.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	462493 Hats off to Bro. Meathead’s Katz’s Pastrami recipe! Best I’ve ever tasted. My next door neighbor is a professional chef and said the balance between the rub and smoke was right on. The post smoke Sous vide is genius and makes for moist, tender pastrami. Thanks to this awesome forum for sharing these great cooking methods.

Glad it turn out good.

Comment

I've seen 2 amazing ribs recipes for pastrami.

Did you use this one?
      https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ts-close-katzs

Or this one?
      https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...astrami-recipe

or some combination?

Every time i look at the close to katz recipe I get discouraged by the steaming step. Is it possible to use sous vide instead of the steaming step, but still follow the close to katz recipe?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I do same as DeusDingo. For me the steaming is more tradition that any measurable benefit to the end product.

• Steppy
        Steppy commented
        Editing a comment
        Neither exactly. I followed Meathead's "Close to Katz's" & used his rub recipe Here's where I deviate from Meathead's. I used plum wood and smoked the beef to 170F internal. Then I put it right into the sous vide for 4 hours at 195F. I got this method here in the pit and I apologize for not giving the credit to that BBQ master, but I forget who it was. Whoever you are, thanks!!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Steppy that was David Parrish that pioneered that method

No doubt it is the best Pastrami recipe out there. Just did a second one myself, which reminds me, it’s lunch time.

Comment

Yeah! And this makes me yell at the brisket I have corning right now in my fridge to hurry the heck up!!!
        I like the slice and then steam method as well.

Comment

The sous vide recipe is sous vide first then finish on smoker.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            If we're going to invoke me... I dunno. I haven't made a pastrami. I think I would do the meathead almost katz, only sub sous vide for the steam. But I could see cure-smoke-sous-smoke.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, Potkettleblack - must have been brain mush confusing with a different discussion!

• Steppy
            Steppy commented
            Editing a comment
            I do the post smoker sous vide. One can skip the sous vide/steam and finish it off in the smoker all the way too.

And hey let's not forget poor Steppy , yours turned out great. Apparently we have at least one post smoke SV happy camper !!

Comment

• Steppy
            Steppy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not poor with pastrami like that!

Gosh that pastrami looks good, Steppy . Congrats on rocking that cook.

Kathryn

Comment

• Steppy
            Steppy commented
            Editing a comment
            I was completely blown away. I have another prime brisket I was going to smoke up Texas style, but it's all going into pastrami!

Nice work, thanks for the great feedback and pics!

Comment

Awesome! This is my favorite recipe on the site, as well.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	42F3A0D1-E979-4930-A594-9E4D1575DBD8.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	480524 I bought 20+ lbs of corned beef after St Patrick's Day and tossed it in the freezer. Turning about 11 pounds into pastrami this week, just put on the rub and planning on firing up the smoker Thursday. I made enough to share with friends and family. That first batch disappeared rather quickly!😋
              Last edited by Steppy; April 9, 2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here