Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket 911!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket 911!

This was going so well. Wet aged 17lb brisket for 30 days, trimmed, dry brined and peppered later. Smoked in Yoder pellet smoker for 9 hours to 203ish, probe tender. Using hickory pellets with smoke tube. Looked very moist, was excited about it. Pulled it, wrapped it, and as I was doing this, I noticed a faint sour smell. Put in cooler and when I opened it to ask my wife what she smelled, she said it smelled like a dead animal. She won’t eat it now and I can’t say I blame her. Going to let it sit for a little while longer, I also changed coolers, and see what I’ve got. It did not smell at all when I trimmed it. Anyone have this happen? The smoke smelled good and spritzed occasionally with apple juice, vinegar and water combo. I’m stumped. Didn’t use that much white vinegar, tasted more light or the juice more than anything.

Odd. Was the bag expanded at all after the wet-age? Was the brisket a bright pink while in the bag?

Comment

I wish I could help, but Jerod Broussard is probably your best bet on brisket.

Comment

I wet age my beef, an it definitely takes on additional / 'different' aromas... Yum!
        Not 'Bad' ones, jus different...
        In addition, many folks have super-sensitive sniffers...
        Most people would run, screamin, if they ever saw/smelled th 'before' meat, at a high-end steakhouse!

Comment

No expansion and the meat looked surprisingly good. Had a couple gray spots but nothing I haven’t seen before. Cut this out and good color. I read posts that said they had wet aged and the meat had a smell but turned out fine. Mine had no smell, great marbling. I might blame the pellets but they made a great smelling smoke. My buddy is going to cook on it later tonight so curious to see how things come out. In the meantime, i’m Driving myself nuts with this. Thanks!

Comment

Did you spritz much right before wrapping?

I've only had one sour smelling brisket, and that was a raw frozen number that was dropped into a cooler full of hot water. Sour smell galore!!

Comment

Now that you mention it, yes, I did. I spritzed walked off and then decided to wrap for fear of it drying out. Can’t imagine what that would do other than maybe the spritz cooking off, which shouldn’t smell that bad.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Drying out a brisket is how you cook it. Taking to probe tender is how you don't totally dry out a high grade flat.

it only took 9 hours to get a 17 lb brisket to IT 203??? What was cook temp?

Comment

Started at 230 and upped to 250 for last few hours.
                i figured it out!!! It’s the towel!! I grabbed an old towel that was on the laundry room floor thinking I would end up throwing it away, anyway. I grabbed another one because it was damp. When I left the house I grabbed that towel, which had dried but was probably mildew-y. When it got hot it made that sour smell. The meat should be fine but i’m not sure I can convince my wife the meat is fine without telling her and then i’m Not sure she would eat it with that explanation. It’s wrapped in layers of foil. Should be good. Only clean towels from now on.. Thanks to all!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Too funny. Glad it worked out...sorta.

Told the wife. Got a brief lecture on using s clean towel and she’s still skeptical but opening up to the idea now.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool Beans, got yer foot in th door, at least...
                  Glad it wasn't yer brisket!

I’m glad it was a happy ending. Enjoy your brisket!

Comment

I'm glad you figured it out. A number of years ago I went to a restaurant supply store and bought a dozen cotton towels for around $3. I still have a few left.

Comment

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They should be antique by now 😂

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes - it was King Tut's favorite linen shop. LOL

That’s really funny except for the "convincing wife" part. I can totally relate to that! Glad you sorted it out without wasting a perfectly good brisket.

Comment

If you want it moister when you eat it, I would steam it and then brush with some gelatin. especially gelatin mixed with the dripping from the cook.

Comment

Just an update....The brisket turned out great and the wife ate it and was impressed. In the end, I learned something and had a good laugh afterward.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here