Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you are a member you must log in now. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the Texas Crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Very nice!!!

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing......over.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I only do my Butts and Briskets on my PBC. They tend to run hotter than the traditional cooker. So, with that being said, I usually kick it up to 300 F -320. On whether or not to crutch....I crutch if need be. If the butt or brisket is really dark and I've got the bark I want. I will wrap it everytime. If I could wrap it for the whole cook I would, but then I wouldn't have any of that wonderful bark to speak of. I use the crutch merely as a way to keep the cook moving. I don't crutch to save moisture, there is more than enough moisture in butts and briskets to stay moist through out cooking with out having to worry about them drying out. Remember, pork butts and briskets to a point, (no pun intended) are tough pieces of meat, they can take the extra heat no problem.

• David Parrish
    replied
    That's a nice smoke ring R2M2. Bravo.

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, indeed it does. If you do it right, you can also have drippings for jus, gravy, or sauce. Your starches will love you for it. Or, make stock and freeze.
    I had a cook, in the fall, that was so darn windy, it took all the propane I had just to get 2 hours of smoke on a pork shoulder. This was with a wind shield too. Beautiful Alaska weather, but the wind was blowing 60 knots. When I ran out of fuel, I placed the shoulder on a bed of mirepoix, and finished in a 250 degree oven. The pork was great, the smokey sauce was epic!Of course, brown roux didn't hurt...lol

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker, every time I read one of your comments it comes across in my head with walky talky audio quality. Over. Krssshhh....

• LowandSlow
    commented on 's reply
    I re-heated the unwrapped brisket over the weekend to firm up the bark and believe I might have over cooked by trying to get to 200 versus probing for tenderness.

• LowandSlow
    commented on 's reply
    I learned this lesson over the weekend. In the future, I'm going to take it as long as possible before having to foil it up. I'm curious, what do you usually up the temp to to power thru the stall? Also, which way do you believe is better? To crutch or not to crutch? I personally would prefer not to, but I would also like to not up the temp too much.

• _John_
    replied
    Looks great, my last one had a smoke ring like that, looks like it was done with a pink highlighter.

Leave a comment:

• R2-Meat2
    replied
    Many thanks to all. Really incredible to have all the replies at the crucial moment - during cooking - and it turned out very well. Here is my first attempt at pictures on the pit. It started as the most beautiful brisket I had ever seen. I walked into my butcher store with no brisket plans whatsoever. I had $6 in my pocket to buy marrow bones so I could make broth. Then I saw her. She looked like this (picture 1): marbled, aged, a bit of fat on her ... everything a man could want (extend this into a metaphor at the risk of offending the Mrs. Meat2 in your life). I took out the credit card and dropped $$$ for 10 pounds. (My butcher is great (Marlow and Daughters) - they bring in a cow at a time and break it down in-store - but you pay to get pieces of fresh cow in Brooklyn). Dry rub overnight, 5 1/2 hours on the WSM with hickory and cherry, pulled it and wrapped in foil, and in the oven at 225 until about 6 hours later. Dropped oven temp to 170 (basically an oven cambro) and went for another 2 hours. Done at 11am (14 hours after start). Picture 2 is the gorgeous meteor of the finished brisket.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brooklyn-20141229-00094.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	46486

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brooklyn-20141230-00096.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	46487

Leave a comment:

• RobertHouston
    commented on 's reply
    It's amazing that you got 5 replies within about 90 minutes of your original post. That's really cool!

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I finish A LOT of briskets in the oven. Sooner or later I need to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    nice!! let us know how it turns out!

• R2-Meat2
    replied
    Wow guys thanks for the prompt responses. I'm gonna let it hang out for a little while yet to let it bark up and will pull it in about an hour to wrap and finish in the oven. At that point it will have been on for about 5 1/2 hours.

Leave a comment:

• CandySueQ
    replied
    Makes your house smell good!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes

Spotlight

These are not paid placements, they are a curated selection of reviewed products.

All of the products below have been tested and are highly recommended. Click here to read more about our review process.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our “buy now” links. This has zero impact on the price you pay but helps support the site.

A Propane Smoker That Performs Under Pressure

The Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’. Click here to read our detailed review.

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat-controlled oven. Click here for our review of this superb smoker.

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi connectivity. Couple that with high standards of design and workmanship and it’s a “must own.” Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review.

Big. Bold. Flavor.

Meathead's Amazing rubs and sauce

Introduce big, bold flavor to your BBQ and grilling creations thanks to the Meathead’s Amazing line of pork, red meat, and poultry rubs as well as a KC-style BBQ sauce. Click here to read more and to purchase.