Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the Texas Crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HC in SC
    replied
    I have finished off many pork butts wrapped and in the oven as you mention and it works just fine. I have also done on a brisket with similar results.

I usually did it out of laziness because the fire in my ECB or PBC was out and I didn't feel like re-doing the whole firebox for just another hour or two to finish up the meat on the smoker.

I have read where some will re-heat the unwrapped brisket after crutching to try and re-firm up the bark - I have not tried that part.

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    replied
    Foil is a pretty non-permeable membrane;so, from a culinary standpoint at least, your oven will finish the meat just fine. There are times when I do this due to windy conditions here in my part of Alaska. When cooking low and slow, most people's rigs are nothing but an oven with smoke, anyway. We use this technique often in the restaurant, as it makes it easier to do food to order without the wait, or when the food needs to hold for a while, among other reasons. I don't let pride get in the way of a good plate of food, but that's just an old line dog's opinion. I hope this helps...

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    You can finish it in the oven if you choose to do so. I don't like to do that myself. I like to finish my cooks on the smoker. Thats why I have it. That being said, it may be safer to finish it inside (but not nearly as much fun). By this time, all of the smoke flavor has pretty much been picked up by the Brisket. However, I still think its better to finish in the smoker.
    I don't wrap at specific temps or times. Sometimes stalls happen later or earlier than others. (170-185) I wrap once the meat has become "meteor" black. And the temp hasn't moved at all, up or down, for a 1/2 hr or so. You can also up your temp to power through the stall. Remember, when you wrap, it will effect your bark that you have worked so hard for. That being said, I like to wrap for as short amount of time as possible. Send us in some pics if you can!!
    Hope this helps.
    P.S love the name.
    -Spinaker

Leave a comment:

• R2-Meat2
    started a topic Question about the Texas Crutch

Question about the Texas Crutch

So I've got a brisket going on the WSM - approaching the 4 hour mark and about the right temp to apply the crutch. It occurs to me that, after tightly wrapping this beast in foil, it doesn't really matter if I finish the brisket on the smoker versus take it inside to the far more convenient oven at 225. Is the meat still absorbing smoke notwithstanding the foil, or should I pull this baby? Any other reason to finish on the smoker versus the oven (other than pride)?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here