Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Kobe beef, smoked on a Big Green Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow. so that's how the other side lives! amazing looking meat.

Comment

Thank you all. I really hope that all of you get to try this once.

So, to answer @JCBBQ’s question about carbon steel vs cast iron: well, I used to be a big cast iron fan, but carbon steel definitely wins, in my opinion. I like the smooth surface. This is the big difference as I see it, how it behaves when searing. The carbon steel ‘pinches’ the meat for 30-60 seconds, meaning it sticks like glue to the bottom of the pan. But after 30-60 seconds it is ‘released’ magically. And the sear is better than I can get from a cast iron pan. I’ll admit these are my subjective opinions, but considering carbon steel pans are cheap I can’t do anything but recommend it.

Comment

Some day.......

Comment

That looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice Henrik!

It is interesting to see a smoked version. I was thinking the fat would soak up way to much smoke, but it didn't sound like that was the case.

I did a pan sear with the A5 that I got. I got the skillet hot, but not screaming hot. Then Seared each sliced piece for about 20 seconds on each side. Then I salted them just before serving. I was amazed how I did not need to add any oil or anything to the skillet. As you said, the fat just rendered right out of the meat. I cooked a few ribeyes in the fat that was left in the pan, after the A5, it sure have those steaks a boost in flavor.

I agree that the meat is the most flavorful and memorable beef experience that I had ever had. The warm buttery flavor seems to find every little taste bud, in every nook and cranny in your mouth. It is almost strange. I did not find I could eat all that much as it was sooooo rich. For special occasions, it is a spectacular delicacy. It is already on the menu again for next holiday season.

Thanks for sharing Henrik!

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Very well put, I agree 100%. And yes, I’m already planning for the next special occasion :-)

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              And you got that 11+, that is some insane quality stuff man. Henrik

Now that is Fabulous!

Comment

Truly beautiful. Perhaps someday I'll have some extra cash to try that out. I too like carbon steel, which my wife introduced me to.

Comment

Wow..absolutely amazing!!

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That about covers it!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here