Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Kobe beef, smoked on a Big Green Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Kobe beef, smoked on a Big Green Egg

Fellow pit members, I think I just had my first ”out-of-cow” experience (sorry, couldn't help myself there...)

I’ve been keen on trying some real top notch meat. Specifically Japanese Wagyu, in this case Kobe beef. Kobe is one of four regions where authentic Japanese Wagyu is produced (there are Kobe, Mishima, ÅŒmi and Sanda).

I’ve recently found a very high end butcher’s shop that I love (but my wallet isn’t that enthusiastic…). They carry authentic Kobe at all times. In order to become a retailer a group of people (inspectors) from the Kobe Beef Association in Japan has to come over to inspect the venue et.c. This is to make sure they meet the highest standards. Once approved, the venue has to pay a license fee too. They're picky about their product :-)

This specific cut I bought is labeled/graded Kuroge Wagyu, 11+. The 11+ is on a 12 grade scale. As you can imagine it wasn’t cheap. I paid 4500 SEK / kilo, which translates into 246 USD / lb (in today’s exchange rate).

I bought 300 grams (10.6 oz). So, with a cut like that there’s not much room for mistake.

The butcher's recommendation was to place the meat in a hot frying pan, sear it properly on both sides, and let the carryover heat bring it up to an internal temperature of 95°F (35°C). In general I think that is fine, it is one way of doing it. BUT: I'm all about barbecue, and a fatty piece of meat like this is just begging to be smoked. Right?

So here’s what I did:
    1. Dry brine
    2. Smoke
    3. Sear
    4. Rest

The one thing that will be different to 'normal' cuts of beef is the target temps. This is due to the amount of fat and marbling. My plan was to smoke the meat until the inner temperature reached 95°F (35°C). Then sear it for 30-60 seconds per side. I wanted the inner temp to get to 113°F (45°C) I used my new carbon steel pan (de Buyer) for this. I absolutely love it!

First, take a moment to admire the intense marbling on this hunk o' meat:

Click image for larger version  Name:	kobe-raw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	473.2 KB ID:	461620

I applied a dry brine, and left it uncovered in the fridge for a few hours. In the evening I went out and fired up my Big Green Egg. It was cold and pitch dark, so I didn’t take photos of the grill. I did shoot a video though, so there’s proof if you need it :-)

I smoked it at 225° F, I took good care monitoring temps. I didn’t want either the grill temp or meat temp run away on me.
    This took 30 minutes, and then I brought it in for searing. I cut off a bit of fat from the end of the meat. I used this to grease up the pan, and also determine how hot it was. The sear was real quick, so I let it rest a few minutes. As soon as the meat hits the pan you can see fat rendering out. I haven't seen this on normal cuts of meat before. But then again this beef has intense marbling.

The meat after smoking

Click image for larger version  Name:	kobe-smoked.jpg Views:	1 Size:	442.2 KB ID:	461619

Finally it was time to slice it up and taste it. I added some sea salt, and tried some.

Searing action in my carbon steel pan (look at the fat rendered out)

Click image for larger version  Name:	kobe-fried.jpg Views:	1 Size:	206.2 KB ID:	461618

Sliced, ready to serve

Click image for larger version  Name:	kobe-sliced.jpg Views:	1 Size:	545.7 KB ID:	461621

The verdict?
    Wow! I can honestly say this was the best meat I have ever had. Period. It is out of this world. There aren’t enough adjectives to describe it. Incredibly tender, flavorful, and with great fat flavor. I’m still (a few days after) blown away by the flavor.

Is it worth it?
    Well, that question can only be answered by yourselves. That completely depends on your relationship with food in general, and meat specifically. Some people can easily pay 100 bucks for a great bottle of wine, yet others are fine with the 10 bucks/bottle corner shop. And that's fine. It’s not your weekday choice, obviously, but I for one will buy it in the near future, to celebrate special occasions. Nothing short of incredible, is all I can say!

Thoughts on the cook process
    I honestly believe the smoke-then-sear was the best thing I could do with this cut. The tangy smoke flavor paired with such a fatty cut of meat was a match made in heaven. Also, the sear has to be done in a frying pan. If you grill this using direct heat, then the fat melts so quickly it would burn and leave a bitter flavor. Not desirable at all. When I seared it in the frying pan I could see fat melting out from under it within seconds. So trust me on that one.

Great Googly-Moogly, Henrik!
    That is one Fine-Lookin steak, brother!

Comment

This looks just fantastic Henrik

Comment

OMG! That meat looks freaking great! BTW, how's the carbon steel? How's it different from cast iron cooking? What do you like better?

Comment

OMG!! That looks and sounds wonderful.

Comment

Amazing! Excellent documentation!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

That is MONEY (literally and figuratively). Well done sir !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	clapping wildly.gif
Views:	845
Size:	580.6 KB
ID:	461663

By the way, doing the math that's $246/10.6 oz. = $23.20/oz. x 16 oz. = $371.32 per pound. My relationship with food is excellent but my relationship with my wallet, well not so much !!! Some day soon, some day !!

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As I keep saying to myself: you’re worth it!! And thanks, this was awesome.

Bravo! Thanks for the awesome write up and pictures. It looked amazing!

Comment

WOAH I'm speechless and now really hungry.. Beautiful

Comment

Fantastic post and write up. I swear I can taste!!

Comment

Henrik nice!
                      (I had to put my wallet in the other room while viewing your cook!)

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lol!

Great write up (and even better eating). That looks superb.

Thanks for sharing the event with us.

Best regards,
                      Jim

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you!

Looks fantastic, but what cut is it?? Rib, Rib Cap, NY....??? I need a beef reference point for flavor and price. Maybe the cut is implied?? Thanks.

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good question, I left that out. This is sirloin beef.

Experiments are considered invalid if they aren't replicable by others. So, send me $300 and I'll run a replication...

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ha ha! Thanks for ‘offering ‘ to validate my experiments;-)

• Willy
                        Willy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        On a more serious note, Henrik; were you able to eat the entire piece? I've read comments that say a little bit is plenty and "more" is too much.

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I shared it with my wife. That thing disappeared within one minute. But yes, it is very rich in flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here