Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Closer To Pastrami!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Closer To Pastrami!

Yesterday
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastrami Rub & Corned Beef.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	461332
    I desalinated the 7 lbs of corned beef (pastrami to be) be for eight hours, changing the water once. I prepared Meadhead's Katz's rub and will let it sit for two days. I'll be using plum wood to smoke the pastrami and plan on taking it to 170 F. I'm going to finish it off in the sous vide @ 195 for 4 hours. I'm saving that 3 lb hunk of corned beef for March 17. This will be my first of many pastrami conjurings. I'm anxious to taste my home made corned beef on St Paddy's Day

Just for curiosity, I use yellow mustard to hold rubs on Boston Butts, pork ribs and brisket. Would that work for the pastrami rub? I don't see why not.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Nor do I!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      It doesn't really matter, the mustard will not leave a taste and makes for a good base to hold the seasoning and develop bark.

Originally posted by Steppy View Post
    Just for curiosity, I use yellow mustard to hold rubs on Boston Butts, pork ribs and brisket. Would that work for the pastrami rub? I don't see why not.
    It would, But you don't need it. It sticks just fine. Since the rub has mustard powder, it might throw off the flavor of the rub. Not sure though.

Comment

i use mustard for basically everything with a rub and it's just fine.

i am so jealous Steppy i have been waiting for corned beef prices around here to drop for what feels like forever

Comment

• Steppy
        Steppy commented
        Editing a comment
        Make your own from brisket

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        i would, no space to do it

Wow, that is one clean refrigerator. Kudos.

Comment

• Steppy
        Steppy commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s my beer fridge 🍺

I gotta have a talk with the wife about getting some brisket - tonight!

Comment

Love me some pastrami

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	87E9C1CD-FE79-4548-BC0C-60295386FD9D.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	461604 Homemade pastrami pic. Two week process.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
            Oakgrovebacon commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks great!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            So why aren't you posting that deliciousness? Man that looks awesome dude !!

Just a suggestion. I would smoke first for flavor, sous vide for texture and tenderness, then finish off by smoking again to get a good bark developed. You may not be happy with the result of trying to SV to that high a temp, bark would be mushy. Here's a good way to do it with a brisket flat, essentially the same as pastrami. Good Luck !!

Sous Vide - Q Brisket Flat

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            My pic above is a double smoke. Posted somewhere in receptors or SV forum.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I was making the suggestion to Steppy , your's looks really well done as I mentioned. Sorry I missed that post.

Yum. I'm putting a flat down to corn today as a matter of fact! Nothing like it.

Comment

Bomb! Man I love pastrami. I find, that it is always worth the wait.

Comment

"Knock-knock-knocking on Heaven's door..."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here