Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with "Beef Short Ribs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with "Beef Short Ribs"

I went to my local butcher to buy English cut beef ribs which I had not made in a long while. I get there and the relatively new butcher tells me that they do not sell that cut. I was shocked. I tried to explain to him that I had purchased many 3-4 rib plates from them but nothing.

Then I saw that they were selling a lot of "beef short ribs".

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1975.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	461126

They do not seem to be the same cut as what I wanted. They look good but I have never cooked them before. Does anyone have experience cooking this cut? I want to rub them and then smoke them at 225 until they hit 203 or so.

Thanks!

I thnk they are the same thing, so cook them the way you have been cooking them.

Comment

I can’t tell but they look like ribs that just weren’t cut up into smaller pieces. A good butcher should just slice them smaller for you. If not, you can just cook them the same way you would have if they were cut. The one caveat is they will take longer.

Comment

I actually prefer them whole bone style. My last cook
        Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look awesome !!! Shorties are my absolute favorite !!!

I really want to try some short ribs but shipping is a beast online. $47 shipping for a $35 1lb rack. They got a butcher shop 30 minutes away I need to check out.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod, climb on your horse, come down to Houston and you can bring a cooler, fill it with meat and run back home for less than $47 !!!

I have done many short ribs, absolutely love them. But are the advertised short ribs the ones in the photo? I'm looking for the bone(s), but can't see them?

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah it’s hard to tell from that picture. Sign says bone in, so I’m guessing those are individual ribs and the bones are underneath...?

If those are short ribs they sure are pretty.

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto! Nicely marbled.

What are English cut beef ribs?

Comment

Ask for Flanken cut next time. I believe that is the same as English cut. Your strategy for cooking these is good.

Comment

Flanken cut ....cut perpendicular to the ribs very thin.....

English cut, more traditional and square cut parallel to the rib in a box-like fashion.....

Comment

Not to totally change the subject, but Whole Foods (I believe nationwide) is selling chuck rib plates for $5.99/lb. I picked up two 4 bone plates over the weekend....they are in the cue queue !!!!

And yes agree with others, all cuts of beef ribs cook similar....low and slow

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here