Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Should I Prepare This Point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Should I Prepare This Point?

Was looking for a whole packer I could stick in my curing refrig and came across a nice brisket point in the adjacent meat case. It's about a 4# piece of choice, so no big deal. On a whim I trimmed it up then gave it a roll and a tie. Hmmmm I says to myself, what ever shall I do with this? Then I remembered my good friends at Amazing Ribs so I throw it out to you. How shall I prepare this rather odd presentation of beefy goodness?

Click image for larger version  Name:	point 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	391.6 KB ID:	461023
    Click image for larger version  Name:	point 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	331.9 KB ID:	461024
    Click image for larger version  Name:	point 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	383.3 KB ID:	461025
    Click image for larger version  Name:	point 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	463.4 KB ID:	461026
    Smoke Like A Brisket To Probe Tender
    64.71%
    Sous Vide Que Brisket Like
    17.65%
    Sous Vide Que Steak Like
    0.00%
    Some Other Method - Explain
    17.65%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Troutman; March 2, 2018, 05:37 PM.

I like number one, but I would be tempted to at least try one of the others at a later date.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW Troutman, that looks yummy!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      OK that's one for tradition, but leaves open the door.....

I voted smoke cause I don’t do the sveede thing.....I’m Irish

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey watch it, I'm Sveedish......

OK, you asked... I would have left it intact. Much more conservative trim and smoked it like a packer. IMHO: Point is the best part of a packer. Why mess with perfection?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Think outside the box Doctor, that's the purpose of the exercise !!!

I would make a large German rouladen out of it since you have it thin and can roll it. Roll it back out, mustard, bacon slices, onions, pickle spears, S/P. Roll it up, tie, Brown it and then let it slow cook and braise until done, creating its own gravy. When finished, make some German spaetzle or bread dumplings to go with the great gravy.

Thats not not an option on your list but, that’s the first thing I thought of when I saw the pics.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You know, I was kind of thinking along the same lines. Now here's a man with imagination !! My only worries would be I'd have to braise it, I really would prefer to smoke it. Thus says the mob anyway !!!! However, I'm thinking a nice piece of veal cut thin and your suggestion would be awesome !!!

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum!

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I use top or bottom round when I make these in the event you want to try it out. Just ask for the butcher to slice 1/8–1/4” thin.

My mouth is watering just thinking about a German rouladen and the gravy it makes.................

I voted the same reason that smokenoob did.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoke once more...ok

Put it in a box with some dry ice and ship to me!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hehe, and what method would you use if you had it?

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your tying job but maybe something like Jerod Broussard burnt ends.

I agree with HawkerXP but instead of using his address use mine! I can almost taste the burnt ends that beautiful point could produce! Nice tie job btw my left hand won't do that. Or cut paper with a scissors or carve a turkey or...etc. etc.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      See! Just another bunch of reasons to send it to me! Righties Rule!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Just hope my smoking is as good as my tying .....

You did good!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      What did I do?

I voted #1 simply because I posted some vid of Scott Rea rolling briskets a while ago. Apparently this is common across the pond. Fascinating! I have yet to try it but I must!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Bingo lonnie mac , I saw a Scott Rea YouTube (not your's but one I found) that had him rolling some flats. Kind of gave me the idea.....I'm exposed !!!!! BTW love that guy, great butcher !!

hey roll it boil it your good right?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Boil? Don't let Meathead hear you say that

Buy the way, that is quite a butchers knot. Care to explain? Kinda a knot guy, and I want to know!

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I tied a knot or two while in the Navy. I figure I might get back to it when I can't do anything else...

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a simple butcher's knot, nothing fancy. I'm kind of a knot guy too. Back when I was a welder/fabricator I worked as a rigger up and down the ship channel in Pasadena. Learned everything from a half hitch to a bowline. Even went through a crazy macrame stage. Love knots, it's a useful skill !!

Butcher's Knot

Comment

I was so impressed doing "cut while raw" burnt ends! Smoke ring and bark all around. I'm doing it again this weekend and turning them in to the judges if they are tasty. Cut 1-1/2 inch cubes to end up with 1" squares.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Here's a thought, how about I cut mine into pinwheels and make pinwheel burnt ends? Now that might be a show stopper .......

Well the meat is ready to go this weekend and the poll is now closed. Wish there were more votes but of the 17 of you, over 60% want the traditional low and slow to an untraditional presentation of meat. That being said, it goes on the smoker this weekend. Results to follow sometime in the near future. Thanks for participating, that was fun !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here