Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever use Tasmanian pepper berry on their steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever use Tasmanian pepper berry on their steaks?

I am searing a ribeye and I usually only use salt but I have this Tasmanian pepper berry many rave about. Thinking of putting it on my ribeye tonight but don't want to mess up a fine cut of beef.

No. But show us how it turns out.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      will do If I go with it.

Never heard of them, so I looked them up. Here's a description:

'Tasmania's native ‘pepper’ is also sometimes referred to as Mountain Pepper. These black berries are a succulent, hot berry with a crunchy seed cluster at their center. When eaten alone, the berries have a sweet taste at the beginning, followed by short-lasting intense heat. We think they are an interesting alternative to conventional black pepper although you should use a light hand—they are 10 times as hot!!'

As HawkerXP said, let us know how it turns out.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what intrigued me to want to try them. I was just thinking it may be better in a rub than a sear. Think I'll give it a try tonight though

Please show us the pepper in raw for and how you used it. Chucnky, fine etc..

Comment

10X the heat, yikes!
      maybe. just put some on a small corner?

Comment

I'd be worried about the pepper burning with that much heat. Maybe put it on before the last flip, or after searing?

Comment

Never heard of it until now.

Comment

They look like Tasmanian Devil berries. Probably go good with peas. 🙄 sorry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ratio6x5-600.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	460935

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks like something the deer leave behind.....

The peppercorns once crushed up give off a floral taste with a slight kick at the end. Interesting taste but I either didn’t use enough or the seat burned it off as I suspected it might and someone above mentioned. I think it’d be really good when used in a rub in place of regular pepper. I have to do a bit more experimenting.
            On the cook side, I tried my first reverse sear. While I got a great sear the meat was over cooked after resting for my liking. I moved it from indirect to direct at 115 so I’m not sure where I went wrong. Next time I’ll move it over at 105.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Sfdrew28
              Sfdrew28 commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve noticed it posts my photos out of order sometimes. Sorry.

Originally posted by RonB View Post
            I'd be worried about the pepper burning with that much heat. Maybe put it on before the last flip, or after searing?
            That, or in a board sauce. I'd also try it in one of my standby pork rubs.

Comment

That steak looks good from here!

Comment

Looks good to me.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                  Sfdrew28 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i agree it looks good there. That was after five min rest but I served a few minutes later and all the pink left.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here