Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to cook thin brisket (flat) about 3-4.5 cm thick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to cook thin brisket (flat) about 3-4.5 cm thick?

Hi all,

Cooking a brisket for guests but the butcher gave me the flat rather than the point. While it is long it is only about 3-4.5 cm thick at most. How long do you reckon the cook will take on weber smokey mountain at about 250 degrees Fahrenheit?

In the past my briskets have gone for about 22 hours but this one is a lot thinner.

Cheers

It won't take long to heat through, it'll rise quickly, but it'll still stall and it'll still need time to soften. I'm guessing a good 10-12, counting a 2hr faux cambro hold time.

Comment

What he said

Comment

What Huskee said, but could I offer a bit of advice and boat it? Whenever I cook only flats, especially thin flats, I've had them dry out. Until I started boating them. I don't remember where I saw the technique, I think Jess Pryles.

But basically, when it hits the stall, wrap it in foil, when it comes out of the stall, leave the bottom half wrapped and open the top and create a boat out of the foil. You can add bullion or whatever here, I don't, I find the juices are plenty to keep it moist.

Interested to hear how it turns out.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Foil pan both covered with them uncovered with foil works really well. Also, but optional, is to rack the meat in the foil pan. Helps with saving bark.

Yes. What the others said. But I would wrap it through the stall too. To much risk of drying it out otherwise.

Comment

I never had a flat some how retain moisture by being wrapped. My driest flat by a mile was wrapped at the stall.

I choose bark and whatever sauce one would like to moisten things up.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. Same experience. If it's dry, which a flat always will be, I at least want a 'beefy' bark!

• 6th Borough BBQ
            6th Borough BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            That's why it kills me that the Costco nearby only has flats. They are useless to me

One more tip I have is since a flat will always seem dry, even when wrapped, leave a generous fat cap on it, perhaps thicker than you might otherwise. Then each slice will have that strip along the edge so that each bite you take has some soft juicy goodness to it.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
            Frozen Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Good advice. I have even taken fat I've trimmed off the point and layed it on top of the flat if I was concerned about it drying out.

Cheers for advice. Will let you know how it goes

Comment

Brisket was a success as still juicy.

Went on at 10pm Saturday ended up wrapping it at 3am as had to get up to add more charcoal. (temperature was around 140 F - I think). Was ready to eat by 1pm Sunday.

Used Meathead's beef rub but with a slight modification - have done the rub 3 times - once with cayenne pepper and the other times with chilli flakes. (Chilli flakes bought off the internet in China and in Chinese so no idea what kind of strength but presumably similar to normal chilli flakes)

Both times I have found that the chilli flakes have given the bark a great kick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 1.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	459624Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 2.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	459626
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks awesome! That flat looks pretty thick to me. When you speak in cm's I don't have a clue! One of the main things I look for when choosing a brisket is the thickness of the flat. I like em fat!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Even appears to have a seam of fat through it very reminiscent of a point. Yum!!!

• Frozen Smoke
                Frozen Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                I think he may have confused the two. Looks more like a point.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here