Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket Brining Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket Brining Attempt

I'd appreciate some feedback if I have correctly computed how much salt and Prague Powder #1 for my brine.
    My trimmed whole packer brisket was exactly 10 lbs. Meathead's recipe was for brining 4 lbs of brisket, making my clod of beef 2.5 times heavier. So instead of a gallon of water, I need 2.5 gal and rather than 8 oz of Morton's Kosher salt, I need 2.5 times that or 20 oz.
    To compute the amount of Prague Powder #1 I used Dr Blonder's Wet Cure Calculator set for 150 ppm, 10 lbs of brisket, 2.5 Gal of water and 2" slab of beef, I get
    33.7 grams of PP#1. Curing time 5.4 days.
    Have I calculated this correctly?

I have attached a picture of my trilled packer brisket. I've separated the point from the flat. I cut the flat in half and put the pieces in gallon ziplock bags topped with brine and all air removed.

I plan to make pastrami with the point and some of the flat and the remainder for corned beef & cabbage, simmering the beef in pickling spices, cabbage, praties and carrots.

Today I desalinated the 7 lbs of corned beef (pastrami to be) be for eight hours, changing the water once. I prepared Meadhead's Katz's rub and will let it sit for two days. I'll be using plum wood to smoke the pastrami and plan on taking it to 170 F. I'm going to finish it off in the sous vide @ 195 for 4 hours. I'm saving that 3 lb hunk of corned beef for March 17.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steppy; February 28, 2018, 10:38 PM. Reason: Mo' info.

Without repeating your calculations, if you used Blonder's calculator and had all the measurements correct, you're good! And that's something you can take to the bank.

Comment

Maybe Jerod Broussard can provide you some assistance. He’s well versed in food safety and such, if not someone should be able to help. As for me, I have never brined anything.

Comment

You are dead on. Blonder's calculator as Huskee mentioned is the bomb.

And just an FYI- You are CURING not brining.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          This was what I was just thinking. lol. I couldn't get my head around using Prague Powder for brining! Then I figured out, he's making corned beef. Whew! Thought I was losing my mind there for a second. lol

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for correcting curing versus brining, I was wondering why brine a brisket?

Originally posted by Steppy View Post
        I plan to make pastrami with the point and some of the flat and the remainder for corned beef & cabbage, simmering the beef in pickling spices, cabbage, praties and carrots.
        What are praties??

I guess I should go hit Google. lol

Comment

• Steppy
          Steppy commented
          Editing a comment
          Praties is Irish for potatoes

This??

"an edible tuber native to South America. a staple food of Ireland. "

Jeez, I LIVED in Ireland for a whole year and never once heard of this thing???

Comment

So you're saying they're exactly the same as potatoes, or are true praties something different, and they just use "praties" as a slang for potatoes in Ireland?

<edit> Never mind, did some more research, looks like it's just another term for potato, not another actual food. Sorry for my ignorance. Never heard them called that when I lived there.

Comment

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            they're exactly the same,only different!

How will I know if the brisket is completely corned? Cut it open and look for pink throughout?

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You won't know until you cut into it. If you used the calculator, it will be done all the way through.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I might also add that I leave mine cure for 7 days. That salt, if used in correct proportion will do it’s job and corn that beef !!

Thank you. The calculator said 5.4 days and I started corning the brisket late last Sunday,so I’ll check it tonight.

Comment

Great plan Steppy. Homemade corned beef just in time for Saint Pratties day! Is this a practice run?

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmn, speaking of which, time to get a brisket!

• Steppy
              Steppy commented
              Editing a comment
              Corned beef for St Patty”s Day and some for pastrami, first attempt

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here