Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Ribs on the Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Ribs on the Pit Barrel Cooker

We just got to the vacay house last night so I'm trying a quick and easy cook on the PBC today. Today's cook is a pack of Angus Short Ribs coated with Pit Barrel Beef and Game rub a couple of hours before the cook. Fuel is Kingsford Blue and wood smoke comes from a chunk of pecan.

I lit the charcoal using the chimney method. I filled the PBC basket, moved some of the charcoal over to my chimney until it was full, lit it using a Weber lighting cube, let those get ashed over, then added the lit chimney to the unlit coals in the PBC basket. I let that heat up again until all charcoal in the PBC was ashed over. I then added the wood chunk, the meat, put in my Mav 732 probes, and closed the lid. About 5 minutes later the temp peaked at 410F, so I had a good light.

I am working on photo upload (I've got a technical issue) but hope to have a couple uploaded shortly.

As of 1:10 PM (minutes after I threw the meat on and closed the lid) the meat is at 162F and the PBC is at 302F. I may blow through the stall with that temp... Hmmmmmm dinner isn't for another 4 hours...

I may also need to put that meat probe in a different spot. It might not be deep enough into the meat and is reading a false high temp. I won't touch anything for a while though. I want the PBC to continue cooling off. It's already cooled to 289F while I typed this.

Comment

I much prefer the BBBR over the PBC Big Game. With that said, I don't want nuttin' but the PBC All-Purpose and a little bit of C6H12O6 (or thereabouts) on my butts.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        [Dear Google, what is C6H12O6 again?.....Chemistry was a while ago]

Oh yeah, sugar.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      I much prefer the BBBR over the PBC Big Game.
      We probably will too. I haven't used the PBC rub enough to know if I like it or not. That's one thing we hope to get out of today.

1:51 PM and the pit temp is down to 241F. I'm going to let it continue at this temp (even lower would be good) as dinner isn't for another three hours or so and the meat is at 183F.

Comment

It's a microwave! Just one that creates food you actually want to eat!

Comment

I just cracked her open to take a peak and thermapen a few of the ribs. The Mav was reading 230F pit temp and 183 meat temp at the time. By my thermapen I was reading 167F to 173F. The meat had shrunk up and the Mav probe was no longer in the center and was reading hot.

Now ten minutes after closing the lid again I'm reading 232F pit temp and 169F meat temp. Things are on track for a nice dinner.

Comment

And meanwhile I'm on hold with Applecare trying to figure out why my photos aren't working on my laptop. Fingers crossed I'll have photos in this thread soon.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              iCare (lol)

Don't be afraid to spreetz dem tings wit apple suacce sine you didnt brime 'em

Comment

Not a bad idea. I'll see if we have some.

Comment

I don't see apple sauce, but I do see a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce. Maybe I'll sauce a few of them.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The kids love that on beef ribs. It ain't bad, but I like them as they are off the pit.

Check out what the pecan wood chunk looks like after 4 hours smoking in the PBC's charcoal basket.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  Holy Crap, you sound like Huskee!!!!!!!!!!

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  lol. Maybe I'm his long lost older brother.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  NO WAY Jerod, I hear some southern twang there. However, Dave & I have discussed we are long lost brothers.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                (snip) C6H12O6 (or thereabouts) on my butts.
                Assuming you mean sucrose. Could be several other things, the least desirable of which is talose--insoluble in water but highly soluble in methanol. Mannose, gulose and others---not good or BBQ. Galactose probably not good either. All the same formula but they are cyclic compounds. I guess you meant glucose. But sucrose is the better choice. C12H22O11

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  The most important part of my post, and the only part that should have been taken literally was,

"(or thereabouts)" No idea what that other crap is. Just memories from a distant past.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was gonna say that frac. I was gonna say ALL that.

• fracmeister
                  fracmeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just "ribbing" you a bit!

OK I sort of have the laptop situation sorted and have some pics to upload:

Shot of the charcoal just before I added the wood chunk and meat then closed the lid.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5933.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	45515

Here's everything loaded up. If you look closely you can see the wood chunk sitting on top of the charcoal.

Name:	IMG_5937.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	45514

This pic is a couple of hours into the cook.

Name:	IMG_5942.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	45516

Here the sun is setting just as I'm getting ready to take the ribs off the cooker.

Name:	IMG_5952.JPG
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	45517

Served with french fries and sauteed green beans.

Name:	IMG_5961.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	45513

Tender and juicy with a nice smoke ring. All in all it was a good cook.

Name:	IMG_5964.JPG
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	45512

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yum yum PB!

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  looks good!

• PaulstheRibList
                  PaulstheRibList commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yummy Yummy!

How you like the rub compared to the BBBR?

Comment

Pretty good for a situation like this where there isn't time to dry brine. They had a nice beefy flavor. It's heavy on the salt so you have to watch how much you lay on. Overall the rub was good and we enjoyed the meal quite a bit. In a perfect world, though, I'd have salted yesterday and applied BBBR this morning

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Editing a comment
                    That is what I like about the All-Purpose. I COAT the butts with that stuff 24-48 hours before cook time, and get a break from the brining then rub routine. I pretty much do it all in one swoop.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here