Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket first attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket first attempt

First shot at brisket 12lb. packer on pellet grill
    been on @225 for 7 hours IT 178
    Should I wrap or let it go?
    Looking to serve around 5pm
    Thanks
    Joe

I dunno, I'm seeing your post at 1019AM Central time, so I think you've got plenty of time to leave it uncovered. This is my preference for most everything on my pellet smoker. I don't know what time zone you're in, so I'd say, you should be good by 3 or 4 to pull it and wrap it and let it rest at that point. 5-6 more hours if you're in Central, an hour less Eastern... that might be pushing it, but I'd personally try to tough it out a little longer, see how much it rises.

Comment

Present IT 184
      I'm in the Eastern Time Zone 11:23AM started cook at 4PM
      Plan to wrap and hold

Comment

I have no experience with a pellet grill and normally cook brisket at 260-270, but... I would wrap it in foil and maybe bump the temp up some. It'll help prevent drying and make sure you get it done in time to spend a few hours in the faux cambro before serving. That's an important step also. I've had way to many briskets with a mind of their own that took their own sweet time getting "done" from where you are at (178)... I hate making hungry guests wait! Good luck!

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree - wrap and ramp - the temp could go to at least 275* with no noticeable difference in the finished product. You want to cambro for an hour minimum - longer is better.

tRidiot
        thanks for the reply

Comment

I think you'll be ok unwrapped, if you went from 178 to 184 in roughly 20-25 minutes. Just keep an eye on it, I think you're past the stall and into the finishing phase. Some people have noted a stall with a double peak, but, I think you're past that point. You should notice a fairly steady climb at this point until the end. As noted above, bumping to 275 or so isn't going to hurt anything, could actually help the bark. My preference is to not wrap, pellet smokers don't develop that thick hard crust for the most part, so there's little worry of turning it into a meteorite.

I think you'll love it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice,
            It came out great !
            Pulled from grill @ 2:30 PM wrapped and in Faux Cambro till 5 PM

Comment

Sounds like you got the logistics just right! Always a fun part of it!

Comment

I always wrap a brisket when the IT temp reaches 175/180 and the bark looks good.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same here. Pastrami too.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here