Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble with searing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with searing

Of all the foods and recipes that I’ve tried, steaks have been my biggest trouble. Ever since I got Meatheads book, I’ve changed my cooking techniques. And so far, it seems I can’t cook a steak right anymore. I’m mainly struggling with searing. My gas grill will not get hot enough to sear properly. Will a cast iron griddle or a salt block help??

Cast iron will work great if you get it hot enough
    Last edited by DWCowles; February 10, 2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I second the CI skillet. Don't be afraid to fire it up on your kitchen stove to get it blazing hot if you need to, and just bring the steaks in to sear (with the vent on of course)! Another option is get yourself a little Weber Smokey Joe grill (~$30) and use it to sear over red hot coals. Also, GrillGrates are worth considering for your gasser, although the least cheap option.

Comment

You might want to try the "afterburner" method. Just light some charcoal in a chimney lighter and place a cooking grate on top. That will most definitely get hot enough.

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          This technique works very well! You may wat to give it a try 🔥
          Grill grates work good too but you gasser still has to get them hot enough.

Hey Jslaven, is that a Weimaraner? Awesome dog, had them when I was a kid.
        Sorry for deviating from the topic, I couldn't resist!

Comment

Sure is. He’s blue. His name is Dürk Himmelblau Von Bruno. He has grown into his ears since that photo was taken.

Comment

Check out my thread on the ultimate birthday sear. To sum it up, Char Crust product with charcoal chimney.

Comment

As mentioned above, you might want to consider purchasing a set of GrillGrates for your gas grill.

Comment

Sounds like a great excuse to get another grill. You can never have too many!

Comment

Can you remove your cooking grates in segments, or is it one large grate? If you can remove in segments, see if you can put a cast iron down directly on the sizzle/sear plates just above the flames...if it will hold the weight, that will get pretty hot and you can sear maybe 2 at a time. Only works that way if it is logistically feasible. I did that technique at my friends place who only has an old crap gasser, and it worked decent. It held a medium CI pan, and put a decent sear on 2 at a time. Needs to get smoking hot though. We put some clarified butter in as well. My buddy is absolutely clueless about grilling, and his wife was amazed how the NY strips turned out.
                  I think having a weber jumbo joe is a good idea as well, but if you want to keep it all on your gas grill and outside, this may be an option for your particular setup. This may catch me some heat, but you can always go back to your old way if your current setup doesn't get the results you want. You can get a nice steak without a reverse sear. Meathead did a video segment with Jamie Purviance comparing the reverse sear to sear first technique. ..I would eat either of those steaks, just sayin....or just keep practicing and trying to dial in your setup.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here