Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef short ribs in the rain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef short ribs in the rain...

I was planning on doing the short ribs on the Lang but it’s raining and supposed to keep it up all day. So I decided to fired up the Big Joe instead.

As I promise I will be doing a side by side test between the Wagyu short rib and the Choice short rib.

So far the Choice is in the lead as far as which one as the most meat. After trimming the fatcap off of them I was very disappointed with the Wagyu rib.

The weight of the Wagyu was 3 lbs before trimming. After trimming it weigh 1.5 lbs. What a waste of money.

The one on left in the first pic is the Wagyu (no it’s not a Tri-Tip).

I rub both with BBBR and used Worcestershire sauce for the binder. I’m also using hickory for smoke. Click image for larger version

Name:	FCABE3EB-0D9C-4A29-8B9E-173B60216C95.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	452828Click image for larger version

Name:	A47C5E93-3B88-488B-8F04-7B2685EB1A26.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	452829

Did you score the top of the ribs? It looks like there are small squares on the choice rib. If yes, is this something done just with beef ribs? What about something like brisket or a butt?

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      No, that's just where they rested on a Bradley rack in the fridge 0ver night while dry brining.

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok thanks. Look forward to your results and feedback. By the way, your Malcom Reed chili looked fantastic.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      It was. It was spicy for good.

All this short rib talk.......dang this gala dinner tonight and travel for a week!

Ill be be waiting for your thoughts. I’ve had Wagyu once - a SRF Wagyu brisket and it was money. Cooked much faster as well.

Enjoy DW!

Comment

Looking good DW

Comment

Looking forward to the results, my friend!

Comment

The final results are in.
          First of all I am disappointed that there was little or no smoke ring. Some of you Kamado experts will have to explain to me why I can’t never get a smoke ring when cooking with the Kamado.

Now to the ribs.
          The Wagyu ribs were good, tender and lots of moisture. But to me they are not worth $70 a slab.

The Choice ribs were also good, tender and moist. I had some guess over and without telling them which was which they couldn’t tell the difference in them.

The first pic pic is the Choice ribs. Click image for larger version

Name:	9F373426-1525-4F66-A071-3602114A5E77.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	453073Click image for larger version

Name:	A4615492-73C7-40FF-914C-704B761E4F3F.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	453074

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod Broussard Where do the gases hide in a vertical setup?

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee with the main draft. If there is a deflector plate, I don't see the gases making considerable contact with the meat. No deflector plate like a Pit Barrel, smoke ring gallore.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod Broussard Interesting. Can't say I buy that idea totally. You get smoke rings on the WSM or other cabinet style water smoker with the water bowl in place. Unless the kamados have the perfect airflow to whip those gases up & out that the others do not. And I'm sure with offsets it depends on the heat plate. I load mine up and they all have rings.

How was the smoke taste?

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Smoke was good.

Beef Rib Side-By-Side: I love it!!! You are the man DWCowles !!

Beef Ribs have a ton of marbling even in Choice, so I'm not surprised that they compare well with the more marbled Wagyu.

When we have beef ribs with above-normal fat, we just cook them to a little hotter temp. Proper rendering of all that fat is essential!

Comment

Just 👍
            I love this.

Comment

Sometimes I get a nice ring and sometimes not. I usually use couple large chunks of cherry
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DA03D98F-AE04-482C-9D55-3CDE9266CFD8.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	453174Click image for larger version

Name:	2ED7B10A-D168-4F25-AFB2-BFD72EC2B820.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	453173

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                LA Pork Butt commented
                Editing a comment
                DWCowles this,is true for me on my Kamado. I have thought it might be due to the amount of salt in the rub. Also, I seem to get better results with one fist size chunk on the fire.

Did you cook at 225? I’ve stopped cooking in my kamado at that temp. I’ll usually aim for 260-275. I’ve never got the size of smoke ring as with the PBC but I’ll get a decent one.

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                No, the temp was 250

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm. Got me. Maybe try more chunks of wood? I usually cluster a good 6 pieces in the center at all levels of the pile and then light 2or 3 areas so that no matter which easy it burns it’ll catch some wood. Best I got, sorry.

Good to know, about the Wagyu ribs. I feel the same way about those fancy pork ribs: they come in the mail, and I open them up and go, "Whaaa?" All skinny and shiners.

I’ve never gotten a smoke ring in my BGE, at least not that I’ve noticed. I stopped looking.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Quit looking is a great choice! Just cosmetics anyway. If you're eatin instead of competin... just quit looking!

The rain also kept my Lang off for the weekend which was unfortunate. I can't wait to get more beef ribs on it. I'm surprised that the difference in the two was negligible. It was just a matter of time before I dropped a lot of pretty pennies on the Wagyu version, but now you having me thinking twice about it.

Comment

DWCowles Multiple members have sworn that this techniques is a smoke game-changer for kamados: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-got-em-part-2

The usual lack of a ring, as explained by Doc Blonder is that the volatiles in the wood were cooked off making the charcoal, so you've just got what you can get from the chunks. The smoke pot helps concentrate that.

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks EdF I'm going to give the smoke pot a try.

EdF I just ordered this to make it a smoke pot. Click image for larger version

Name:	pot.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	453371

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I got mine a few weeks ago. Just haven't had the grill and drill out! Let us know what you find!

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I kinda hate to drill holes in it but I can always order another one.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here