Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smoking sousvide-Q beef short ribs from crowd cow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoking sousvide-Q beef short ribs from crowd cow?

Hi all!
    I'm going to try doing a sousvide-Q on short ribs and I've read some posts on here about the best way to do that. I'm planning to SV them at 133 for 72 hours, then finish on the grill. But I have trouble finding beef plate ribs and I was thinking about ordering them from crowd cow. I read that crowd cow ships them in SV ready bags, so they can go right in. I find that appealing, because then I don't have to thaw unnecessarily but... first, then I can't season them before putting them in the bath. Wouldn't that adversely affect my end product? Also, if I were to do such a thing, any thoughts on how much time to add on for flash frozen beef ribs that go directly in the SV?
    Thanks for the help!!

Welcome to The Pit. Do any of your local groceries or butchers offer short ribs that are cut up? If so, they are likely to be cutting them in store. Ask if they can wrap a plate or two before cutting.

Comment

Little gain from salting before SV. After 72 hours starting with a frozen product will be irrelevant. I've successfully done 144 for 48 hours starting with frozen. Good luck!

Comment

Welcome overthinkit

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

133* x 72 works well. Frozen doesn’t matter. Do your seasoning before you smoke. Be sure to ice bath before smoking. Good luck, they turn out great!

Comment

Wow so you all agree that I don’t need to season them before I sous vide them? This surprises me for some reason.
              can’t hurt to try though! Thanks

Comment

How big of a difference is there between 144 for 48 and 133 for 72? Because it looks like my order won’t get here until Thursday and I was planning to serve on Saturday

Comment

Pretty good description of the results for various times & temps here: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...-ribs-your-way

Comment

Welcome, if you haven't already, please check out our newest Sous-Vide-Que beef ribs recipe! It'll give you another option for time & temp, plus for the rub! https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ef-ribs-recipe

Comment

I’d love to see it! But that link isn’t to a sv recipe is it? Looks like regular smoke?

Comment

Oops, my bad wrong recipe. Try this one: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...e-sauce-recipe

Comment

Says link not working? Sorry!

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Weird, it works for me. You could always visit the free site and search sous vide beef ribs, maybe it will work better for you that way.

Works now. Thanks! I think I will try both ways and see what tastes best

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                            HorseDoctor commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Be aware that the recipe on MH's link calls for back ribs, not short ribs.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here