Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef and Frutia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef and Frutia

Sometime last week I placed an order for some wood from fruita for the first time and it finally came in! Ordered 10 lbs each of post oak, pecan, hickory, apple and cherry.
    After getting this order in I’m itching to smoke something good so I took out a packer ive had in the freezer for about 3 months and gonna throw it on the smoker tomorrow morning. Have some friends over and hang out. It’s mardi Gras down here but it’s supposed to be a wash out this weekend. So what better way to celebrate some rainy days and an order of fruita wood.
    started the dry brine last night and gonna rub it down this afternoon and start the cook around 6am.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A526B67E-9F35-4A58-8995-9DCFB2EC80BD.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	452243Click image for larger version

Name:	53F4C550-9F51-4F55-9EEF-02B06907DBC3.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	452244

Very nice. What are you cooking on?

Comment

• cwain8845
      cwain8845 commented
      Editing a comment
      Throwing it on my smoke vault.

Sounds like a great idea. I've gotten there post oak and love it with brisket!

Comment

• cwain8845
      cwain8845 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that's what I am going to use for this cook. I've never used post oak and I have read that it's on the best. Been reading Aaron Franklin's book and that's all he uses and he stands by it.

I see that LSU shirt you're wearin' so I know where you're at.....Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Show us some pix of the result.....

Comment

I ordered some Maple chunks from Fruita to do some Maple ribs with (which I did yesterday) they were fantastic. I highly recommend Fruita Wood. Enjoy your cook this weekend.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a bunch of sugar maple, it grows all over up here, great stuff for smoking.

The next time you order wood get some of their red oak to use on beef. I use it on all types of beef roasts and the flavor is truly unique. Out here it is native coastal oak, but is known as red oak. I remember when my youngest son was at Ole Miss and they played LSU, I would ask, who are you playing and he would say LS Who :-)

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Supposedly, that coastal red oak is more closely related to the deep south live oaks than the northern red oaks we have in abundance in KY. I'm kind of a tree nerd. I may have to try some of that coastal oak sometime.

Nice! You should throw that post oak in for the brisket. Brisket and Post Oak are my favorite marriage in BBQ.

I got a box of peach wood from them, a while back. it was great stuff, amazing with pork butts.

Have great cook and make sure we get some shots of that party!

Comment

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        I use their peach wood with all my pork cooks. It's a great product and the service is outstanding.

Good mornin all you meat freaks!

started the cook around 6:15 this morning. I’ll keep updating throughout the cook. Cooking around 275.

Name:	A60FF70E-5151-4507-BA36-40B473F92E69.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	452659

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Boom! Nice work Brother! Looking forward to the updates.
        Bout to go throw some ribs on myself.

Been cooking for 6 hours now. Lowered the temp bc I didn’t take into consideration that I split the brisket so it wouldn’t take as long. Also wanted to throw more smoke on em. Decided to spritz and not wrap this time. Never spritzed a brisket. I’ve always wrapped. Spritzing with apple juice, apple cider vinegar, worsh sauce and hot sauce about every hour. Click image for larger version

Name:	DEA01D1D-9669-45CA-A7ED-AD9556E9173F.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	452853

Comment

Looks great! Remember, if you spritz and don't wrap you can expect a longer cook time. Spritzing cools the surface.

Comment

• cwain8845
          cwain8845 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup. Which I’m ok with bc this is for dinner anyway.

Lookin’ good!

Comment

Name:	AF002932-8A7B-4311-A268-789B07623271.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	453160 So the flat took about 11 hours. The point was about 13 hours. Spritzing and no wrapping. Used oak wood and it came out awesome. Wrapped each in butcher paper then put in a cambro for an hour then sliced. Definitely one of my top briskets I’ve made. Maybe would have liked a little bit more of a smoke ring but overall was awesome. Click image for larger version

Name:	6FA4318A-1821-4FE9-A765-E0ADE2554AB4.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	453158Click image for larger version

Name:	C24DA7FE-E093-49DF-A7FE-BAABED8D85AB.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	453159
          Last edited by cwain8845; February 11, 2018, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! Looks great. With bark like that, who gives a damn about a smoke ring. Get Some!

• RickyBobby
            RickyBobby commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m with Spinaker on this one, that looks amazing! My mouth is watering just from the pictures!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here