Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15 pound whole packer...UNTRIMMED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 pound whole packer...UNTRIMMED

I bought a 15 pound whole packer when it was on sale and threw it in the freezer. It wasn't fully defrosted when I needed to salt and apply rub so I just left it untrimmed and plan on cooking it whole. I'm serving dinner at 6PM and I'm afraid to even go to sleep because my cooker needs fresh charcoal every hour. I'm hoping to get it going around 3 or 4 AM.

Comment

dats a beast!!

Comment

It looks pretty well trimmed to me - not much of a fat cap to speak of. Good luck with it.

Comment

Comment

I must be exctied. I woke up at 12AM, then 1 (pulled out the meat) and got out of bed at 2. The "Beast" is on by 2:30! I'll post a pic of the setup when I reload charcoal which is every 45-60 minutes.

Comment

So you're looking at a 16hr cook time until dinner? I think with an untrimmed fat cap that's a pretty good estimate. Lots of folks go 18hrs, trimmed. Can your guests wait until 830pm to eat? My suggestion is keep your temp on the high side, say 250-275ish, and wrap at the stall. Tight double layer foil wrap up to 200 or so. You'll probably want to let her rest an hour or three wrapped n a faux cambro if you can afford the time. Keep us posted, we're loving it almost as much as you!

Comment

Man it is cold out here (45, yes, we are wimps in So. Cal.), having trouble getting the temps up, going to have to use a lot of charcoal today! Thanks for the tips, I agree, I'm going to have to cook in that range you recommend. The thing is with my cooker, it should cook quicker until it shrinks down and I can slide that end away from the fire. At least it is the fat end!

Comment

Do you have any good smoking wood you can toss on to help add BTUs (and a little flavor) and maybe help reduce your charcoal useage? Oak, fruit wood, anything other than pine or cedar pretty much. Might get a couple benefits doing that.

Comment

Damn Huskee thanks for reminding me, I bought some Pecan chips for this cook! should I soak it or just throw it on?

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                      FLBuckeye commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Chunks are a better bet if you can find them. I started out woth chips but learned they burned too fast. Chunks smolder. I highly recommend following the AR brisket technique / recipe. Seems odd you have to add charcoal every hour.

Originally posted by LowandSlow View Post
                    Damn Huskee thanks for reminding me, I bought some Pecan chips for this cook! should I soak it or just throw it on?
                    Don't soak. Wrap a handful or two in foil, and poke a few holes in the foil. Put them on or near your charcoal...this will let them smolder releasing smoke, but if done right shouldn't let them burn. You don't want them to burn obviously they'll be gone in thirty seconds, but you don't really want to soak since that will just make them steam, then they'll dry out and burn anyway.

Comment

L&S, check out this article on soaking wood, toward the bottom is Meathead's reference to what I suggested above. Also possible is a version of soaking in a pan, called the smoke bomb. A pan with a little bit of water and chips, and another pan with just chips, no water. The article explains it.

Comment

Thanks again for the tips. I know it is recommended to have water above the flame, but it takes me way too long to remove the water and the grill to add more charcoal. My temp dropped to 100F. When this puppy shrinks, I'm going to slide it over and remove the water and gril so I can add more charcoal easily by just cracking the lid.

In other news, I'm going thru my homework assignments, posting pix the right way!Click image for larger version

Name:	master forge.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	45279
                        Attached Files

Comment

FLBuckeye. The reason is because this charcoal grill is far from airtight and the charcoal burns too quick. I've tried to snake it, but the temp gets up into the high 300's. The only way to keep it 225-250 is to put in around 10 kingsford briquettes every hour. Unless there are some better briquettes that burn slower at the same temp.

Comment

4 hour mark. meat is at 145 right where I have the probe.Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb 4 hr.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	45333

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here