Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket and a Fatty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket and a Fatty

First brisket I've done on the PBC.

13 lb whole prime packer wet aged @36F for 13 days past the "sell by" date.

Separated point and flat mainly because I didn't think I could hang it high enough above the coals, and also it seemed to have an exceptionally large amount of fat between the muscles.

Injected beef broth and dry brined with kosher salt for about 12 hrs. Rubbed BBBR with a small amount of MMD and an extra coat of coarse grind black pepper.

Used a 12-10-10 lighting method for the PBC (a la fzxdoc ) with 40 briquettes in the chimney, and over filled the basket somewhat to make sure I had enough for an extended cook if needed. 3 "medium" size apple wood chunks on the coals during the lighting sequence.

Double hooked each piece, hung, and placed one Maverick probe in the flat and one in the center of the barrel.

Barrel temp ran up to about 310 for three first 30 minutes or so then settled in at about 265-280 for the rest of the cook.

Spritzed the meat with a 50/50 water/Worcestershire mix every hour or so for the first few hours, adding just a few chips each time until the bark just looked right. Flat stalled at 156. Wrapped both pieces at this point and cooked until probe tender, 203 in the point. Flat reached temp a little before the point.

Wrapped in towels and faux cambro'd for nearly 4 hours before serving, dropping only 4 deg which was surprising, but I did use large beach towels and the cooler was indoors.

So, roughly 7.5 hours in the barrel + 4 in the cooler. Very happy with the end product. Dark peppery bark with a hint of sweet from the MMD. Point was marbled beautifully and spot-on, taste and texture wise. Flat was not too shabby either.

Also smoked a glazed bacon weave sausage fatty stuffed with eggs that served as an appetizer (posted details earlier over on the "Show us..." thread. Delicious.)

Bourbon of the day was a bottle of Knob Creek that's been knockin' about for a while.

Cheers!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_190503.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	451272Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_130533.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	451273Click image for larger version

Name:	20180202_233727.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	451274Click image for larger version

Name:	20180202_221412.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	451275Click image for larger version

Name:	20180202_220807.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	451276Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_185044.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	451277Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_113519.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	451278Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_112224.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	451279Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_110821.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	451280

Absolutely fabulous!

Comment

• BourBonQ
      BourBonQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Wow, that foil shot is money!!

Eggggcellent fatty.

Comment

• BourBonQ
      BourBonQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! That Worcestershire spritz really does the trick with the bark.

Would have never thought to put hard boiled eggs in a fatty! Nice job and the brisket looks awesome

Comment

• BourBonQ
      BourBonQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Frozen Smoke this was my riff on traditional scotch eggs, one of my favorite breakfast foods. These turned out even better than I had hoped. These fattys open up a lot of room for improv!

The PBC is a fantastic cooker for brisket, great job

Comment

• BourBonQ
      BourBonQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Butchman this amazing little cooker keeps impressing this old school BBQ'r.

NOw I need to eat breakfast - again.

Comment

Congrats on the great job you did on that briskie, BourBonQ . It looks sooooo good. As does the fatty.

You're rocking that PBC.

Kathryn

Comment

• BourBonQ
        BourBonQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Fatty are becoming a permanent fixture in my bag of tricks!

I'm a sucker for good bark on brisket, and I have no words for how great that looks! And that fatty...

Comment

Sorry but just snapped to your clever name, anyway the cook looks excellent !!! Brisket has a good deep rich color, looks like you nailed it ! Those PBCs sure do a good job, if I didn't own a couple of WSMs I'd have to go that route. Also I noticed you spritz with Worcestershire, been doing that AND rubbing down my meat prior to seasoning for years now. But be quiet about our little secret...don't want anyone to know !

Comment

Ok, your cooking time has me wanting a PBC as part of my MCS. I just smoked a 14.5 pound full packer (16.5 before trimming) Saturday-Sunday on my offset. Not only did it take 14.5 hours at 225F to get done, with crutching it at 150F, I lit the fire at 4PM, put the brisket on at 5PM, and stayed up until it hit 150F in the flat at 1:30AM and wrapped in foil, and brought in to the oven at that point. It finally hit 203F in the flat at 7:30AM. It then sat in the faux cambro for about 5 hours until we ate lunch (it had dropped to 167 by then).

Do you bother with temp control on the PBC, or just let it ride at whatever the PBC wants to do based on the vent being open to the right "altitude" position?

Comment

Wrapped in foil or butcher paper?

Comment

jfmorris I do pay attention to the barrel temp and will stuff the rebar holes with foil, one at a time, or crack the lid as necessary. Not shooting for super tight control but like to see it ride from 250-280 (unless I'm doing poultry - then 325+, which almost always requires me to crack the lid). It does a very good job of holding steady on its own if you light it properly.

I lit the chimney at about 6:30 a.m., had meat hanging at about 7:15. Brisket came off at about 2:30 and into the cambro, served before 7 p.m.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            My other thought is that I used 30-40 pounds of fuel on the offset, versus your 8 or so in the PBC basket. Offsets are just fuel hungry and go through both wood and charcoal so fast. Unfortunately, I could not fit the brisket on my Weber kettle.

The sausage bacon wrapped fatty just blew my mind!

Comment

Really a nice looking cook!! I've done scramble eggs with ham and cheese in a fatty but never boiled eggs. I may have to try that! Very nice job on that brisket...yum.

Comment

Those both look great. I love scotch eggs as well so will have to try your trick.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here