Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuckie's Excellent Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuckie's Excellent Adventure

No this isn't a Bill & Ted story but it's about as goofy. So I usually plan my cooks several days out while approaching the weekend, like a prize fighter waiting to slew his opponent. Most of my meat is in a freezer in my garage refrigerator and when I pull in at night and step out of my truck, that's the first thing I see. I usually reach into the frig and grab a couple cold ones for the house, but I digress. On Wednesday of last week I looked in said freezer always aware of the oldest piece of meat and sometimes the cook gets built around it. Well a nice 3 pound CAB chuck roast which I had my butcher cut for me was just that piece. So I pulled it from the freezer and placed it in the frig below to thaw while liberating said cold ones.

Well I kind of forgot about chuckie and by Friday the wife is reminding me that I was going to smoke a pork shoulder for pulled pork as my contribution to a Super Bowl/birthday bash we were invited to. No problem I go get the butt, grabbed a couple of chickens for additional credit, and proceeded on Saturday to fire up my old stick burner for the cook. Was kind of rainy and nasty so I threw up a tent over the cooker and used what turned out to be the rest of my splits for fuel, actually had to use some charcoal as well. Cook went off kind of rocky but got done by Sunday in the morning, fuel pretty much spent.

For some odd reason (I think I was checking my beer count) I went to the garage refrig and there was chuckie. Oh crap, quick thinking I de-bag it and stick it on the now almost defunct stick burner. Figure I'd get some pre-smoke benefit and sous vide it for a Monday night meal, problem solved. Well after 45 minutes or so the cooker is down to about 150* so the meat is getting no benefit at this point so instead of relighting the fire I just fired up the pellet pooper and chuck the chuckie into it for a 180* smoke. Problem solved again. He takes on what smoke he could, got up to an IT of 100* so I pulled, shrunk wrapped and refrigerated him. That evening I calculated a 24 hour bath at 130* to reach medium rare (our favorite way to do chuck now!) and let her rip. Exactly 24 hours later I come home, de-bag and immediately he goes on the sear zone on my propane gasser to be seared to a deep mahogany perfection. Sliced, diced and consumed.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	chuckie 2-18.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	451021

Bottom line it turned out better than anything I cooked or ate the entire Super Bowl weekend. That poor forgotten chuckie has got to hold some sort of record for the most varied cook of a piece of meat in one session; stick burner to pellet pooper to sous vide to propane. Now if that isn't the perfect definition of sous-vide-cue I don't know what is !!!

Thought you'd appreciate my musings ...... Troutman Steve is once again out !!!!!

Lookin' very good. I'm glad it worked out.

Comment

I think you ought to write a book. Or, submit it to Mr. Meathead as a trend in Q’ng.
      Bottom line, you are one cool thinking cook to handle that the way you did. A gold star for you & a lesson for us. Cool pics too.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea how to survive a near tragedy by chucking meat in anything that would cook it !!! Maybe I can become the Bear Grylls of barbecuing !!

I sure hope you completely made that up and are messing with us! Great Story.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately it’s all too true, but a good outcome!

Do we call that QPVP?

I like when with experience and science you can save just about any cook.

Comment

Cooking and thinking on your feet! Creativity at it's finest!

Comment

Oh that looks good brother! I have yet to try that method on a chuckie. I am going to have to give it a go real soon! That looks DELISH!

Comment

Great Cook! Looks delicious.

Comment

If you can't be good, be lucky!

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                My thoughts exactly !!!

was wondering if your garage refrigerator looks like an old phone booth and you really saved the day by going back in time.....

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe he uses the phone booth to change into his cape and flies around the world backwards to reverse time, then save the day.

Dang you caught on man....here I am grabbing a couple of cold ones.....

Name:	PhoneBoothOpenLG.GIF
Views:	111
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	451347

Comment

I love hearing about your cooks, Troutman. This one is great. You gave Mr. Chuckie the cooking adventure of his life and us a good story.

Name:	Thumbs up emoji.png
Views:	103
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	451355

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here