Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen meat

My grocery store has some pretty nice looking brisket points (HOP) on sale at a pretty good price. Going to be next weekend before I can cook and was thinking of picking up a few for the freezer.
    Thoughts on freezing?
    BTW... they are cryovac packed.

Store on the bottom shelf of the fridge. I've kept many up to a month. I think it improves the meat.

Comment

Should have added these questions to the title....
      Since I am experimenting, can I cut it half to lesson the pain in case of failure?
      Should I cut it with or against the grain?
      Should I vacuum seal and freeze the cut half?

Comment

Originally posted by Mygrane View Post
        Should have added these questions to the title....
        Since I am experimenting, can I cut it half to lesson the pain in case of failure?
        Should I cut it with or against the grain?
        Should I vacuum seal and freeze the cut half?

You can, I wouldn't bother, with respect to cutting in half.
        If you cut, I'd go down the middle against the grain.
        Anything taken out the cryo needs to be cooked pretty soon, or frozen.

As mentioned above, I buy brisket, that is cryo'd, 30-40 days in advance, and keep in the fridge at 34-36 degrees, or thereabouts.

Comment

Mygrane, when are you planning to cook all of them, or just some and freeze the rest for an unknown future date? Then yeah freezing wont hurt. But like the guys have already said cryo beef lasts much longer than traditional foam tray shrinkwrapped meat. I think brisket point would make some yummy pulled beef.

Comment

Thanks for the input!
            At the price, I was planning to buy 3-4 and cook them separately over a few months. Also, as I experiment with brisket I was asking thoughts about cutting in half prior to freezing to cut down on loss after a failed attempt. I would store each piece in a vacuum sealed freezer bag and take out a half as I need.

Comment

There's some kind of gas that they put into a "factory" cryovac that helps meat last longer. I wouldn't open the ones you want to keep. I discovered a small prime brisket that was buried in the bottom of the freezer for 2 years. It was a prime, the seal was tight, no signs of any freezer burn at all. I thawed it and cooked it at a contest. Won money. I don't generally lose things in the freezer, but I do have 3 briskets in the freezer for contests in March.

Comment

want to try wet aging the beef this year before contests. want to buy a case of briskets should I wet age before freezing then thaw week of competition ?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here