Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever cube the brisket point first to make burnt ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever cube the brisket point first to make burnt ends?

I have a piece of point brisket (2nd cut) and want to make burnt ends. Has anyone ever cubed the point before cooking it? I made pork belly burnt ends recently and cubed it before smoking it. My thought would be to cook the brisket the same way. Put cubes on smoker at 250 for a few hours, then put in foil tray with some liquid, cover and cook for a few more hours until tender, with final step to glaze and let set. What do you think?

Cook them the same way you made Pork Belly Burnt Ends. It is the same process, on the meat changes.

I think you have a solid plan.

Comment

Sounds good. I separate point from flat on a brisket and will cook the point to a point then cube and pan for burnt ends. Should work just fine starting from raw.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Spinaker. My guess is that no one has really ever done this before. Oh well, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Comment

Thanks CandySue! That was the additional encouragement I needed.

Comment

i believe in you (only if you share)!

Comment

I would say try it and see how you like it. For me the beauty of burnt ends is the rich bark that has developed by the long cooking process, that's what you are really harvesting. The tender meat that's attached to it is the added bonus. I would be afraid that your method might not yield the bark you're really looking for, but again try it and report back, with pix please !!

Comment

Total bust! I do not recommend cubing the raw brisket before cooking it. The cubes cooked too quickly before the fat rendered sufficiently. I'll make burnt ends the classic way from now on.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How big did you make them? Mine came out great.

• dshaffes
                  dshaffes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think that may have been one of my problems. The cubes were not that big, I didn't measure but probably around 1" in wide by anywhere from 1/2"-1" deep. It turned out that once unpackaged, the point was relatively thin and most of the fat had been trimmed. Oh well, I'm glad yours came out great.

Also cubed -- on a rib roast couple of Christmas dinners ago, I cubed the outer muscle
                Click image for larger version

Name:	C84CDE23-CA29-4311-A4BB-AF7A33D1E6F1.jpeg
Views:	1151
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	450409
                Then dry brined.

Name:	5164C923-745D-49DC-AF60-1C6DE5DAEF33.jpeg
Views:	1225
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	450412 Did a board sauce ala Adam Perry Lang

Name:	896C5835-E200-4C92-9F86-24012731539B.jpeg
Views:	1154
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	450410
                Attached Files

Comment

• dshaffes
                  dshaffes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yum!

Cooking down in Monroe, LA at the Twin Cities Mardi Gras cookoff in the rain! Had a piece of point that I hated to waste, so I tried this.

Name:	092C413C-736F-4017-8867-B93E3DAD201D.jpeg
Views:	1179
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	452780
                just panned them up with a bit of beef juice.

Name:	7DCFC957-3E8D-4A89-A9C5-BC937786C166.jpeg
Views:	1158
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	452781

Name:	3F9D6D40-19C0-4E2F-8FE4-B52E7DAE47C0.jpeg
Views:	1151
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	452782

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How’s it goin’ there CSQ? I know lots of rain heading your way....

Those look pretty good Candy Sue. How did they taste?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here