Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't figure this one out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't figure this one out...

Cooking pastrami today. Plan was to cook to 150 IT, then wrap and put in the fridge to be finished in a pressure cooker tomorrow. Last time I cooked pastrami it took about 4 hours at 250* or so to get to 150 IT. Today I got tired of waiting at 147* after 7 hours so I pulled the meat and put it in the fridge. The cooker was at about 280 all afternoon. Go figure. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see whether all I've got is a 4.5 pound piece of shoe leather. Anyone got any ideas what I did wrong?

Assuming there is nothing wrong with your thermometer, maybe nothing. An early stall might be all it was.

Comment

Just made a batch of pastrami recently and hit 2 stalls myself. First stall at 145 and 2nd stall at 165ish. Happens...every piece of meat is different.

Comment

Aren’t stalls a wonderful experiment in life? You hear of all kinds. It’s probably all fine.
        Then again, maybe you are destined to open a shoe store.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
          Deaf Arty commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmmm. Possibilities!

...or maybe his pastrami is now like shoe leather. If it was going to be finished in a pressure cooker, I would have just pulled it instead of risking moisture lose. Hope it turns out OK for you, 3* of IT can't make much of any difference.

Comment

I'm eagerly waiting to hear the rest of the story.

Here's hoping it turns out tender, juicy and tasty, Deaf Arty .

Kathryn

Comment

Wet-cured meat has plenty stalling potential.

Comment

Thanks, everybody. I'll finish the story after lunch. cwain8845 and JCGrill JCGrill I expect you're right. Maybe the waiting got to me because I've been looking forward to pastrami sammiches so much!

Comment

I believe the pressure cooker will save you here. If your pastrami is still tougher than my ex-wife's lawyer, then pressure it up again!

Comment

I did a chuckie the other day that was only a little over 5 lbs, but even when I wrapped in butcher paper at ~150ish after 7 or 8 hours, it still wasn't moving and at 11 hours I cranked the heat to finish it off. It came out find, but took 13 hours and still had to both wrap AND crank the heat to finish it. Frustrating! 2 of my guests (parents) gave up waiting and went home.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Frustrating!

Just finished a terrific pastrami sammy. Tender, juicy, and very flavorful. Not dry or tough at all. Brought the meat up to pressure in the pressure cooker for 40 minutes then let the pressure bleed off on its own. Final IT was about 215, and probe tender. Thanks everyone for the advice. I love this Pit and all the support and help it contains. I've just gotta learn patience (give me patience and give it to me NOW! ). Here's a photo of the finished product. Somehow the sammich disappeared before I could take a photo of it....
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastrami.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	448547

Comment

• Skip
                    Skip commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Deaf Arty that looks like some awfully good pastrami to me. Good job!

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh man!! I would so eat that right now!! Yeah buddy!! Enjoy that, you earned it!

Love the color. I have yet to attempt pastrami.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh man, if you're like me you'll wonder why you waited so long!

• Skip
                    Skip commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Go for it @JCGril. Try it with store bought corned beef if you aren't sure about the curing process. I've done it both ways. A fun time. You won't be sorry.

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Skip curing is no problem, I have done bacon. Just a matter of time. So many good foods to try.

Excellent! Great job!

Comment

That looks awesome and glad it turned out well!

Comment

Was there really any doubt 😞

Comment

• Deaf Arty
                        Deaf Arty commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LOL. Actually, there shouldn't have been!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here