Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Briskets - Tips and Tricks Request.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Briskets - Tips and Tricks Request.

I want to provide sufficient detail, I’ll try not to be too long winded…

This past weekend I cooked 2 briskets on my Primo XL Oval. One point and one flat (not connected) The point was prime and the flat was choice. I asked my butcher for a whole packer Prime but he didn’t have one on hand, said he needed some advanced notice. I figured that cooking them separate was an advantage, easier to control.

I injected them with a beef base recipe that I got off the internet. Rubbed them with an Ancho/paprika rub that I made and put them on at 1:30am Friday night. The Primo was at 210d and I used a CyberQ controller with the pit viper blower. This unit works awesome. I divided my firebox and filled the blower side with Wicked Good lump charcoal and added an equal mix of Cherry and Hickory chunks. With a divided fire box I get a hot side and cool side. I put the point brisket over the hot side (fat cap down to create an insulation barrier, also, I put cross hatch slits into the fat cap to allow the rub to penetrate), then worked on the flat and put that on the cool side about 45 minutes later. Both briskets were out of the fridge about 4.5 hours before going onto the smoker, so they were well on their way to room temp, if not already there. One thing I meant to do and completely forgot was to add water pans under the briskets. This serves 2 purposes…adding moisture to the smoker and catching all of the fat drippings from the roasts. Rookie mistake. After monitoring them for a couple hours I went to bed.

I got up around 9:30am and the smoker temp was a flat line at 210d through the night. The point was at 170d and the flat was around 140d. I pulled the point and wrapped it in butcher paper and put is back on. I wrapped the flat when it reached about 160d. Both roasts came off when they reached between 190 - 195. I wrapped them in towels and stuck them is the cooler for at least 2 hours. Then sliced them.

They were very good. I had friends over and there isn’t much left over. Like most of you, I’m sure, I’m my toughest critic. I would like my next briskets to be moister and more tender. I would appreciate any critique to above and any advice. Thank you!!

You can run the Primo higher. My minimum is 225*, max is 275*, and the temp I like best is 240*-250*.

Did you pull them at a temperature, or did you pull them when a probe went in "like butter"? My first one I did to temp. After that, do as I did: just start checking when the meat hits 190*. Every 5* or so, check. When the probe goes in "like butter", you will think what I thought: "Oh. Now I understand." Then cambro. Two hours is fine, I've done anywhere from 1 to 4. If you get to 210* and no "like butter", pull it anyhow. But, it should get there before that.

Comment

• rbenson30
      rbenson30 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I really like your advice for learning the "feel" for doneness. Ive only done about 4 or 5 briskets so far and Im trying this and that to see what works. Ill do another one soon and remember your "like butter " advice.

Not sure that too many folks let their briskets set out that long before going in the smoker. The colder the meat the better the smoke adhesion/attraction. I take mine from fridge after dry brining, add rub, and right on to smoker.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Also a food safety factor, although I've been known to leave my meat hangin' out ......

• rbenson30
      rbenson30 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I definitely hear ya. This was advice that my butcher gave to me. He said he cooks all the time and caters and always lets his meat get to room temp. Said that was the secrete to the smoke ring. Personally, I think the trick to the smoke ring is salting the roast 24 hrs before you rub it. My jury is still out on both tricks.
      Thanks!

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      The smoke ring is actually a chemical reaction to compounds in the smoke and myoglobin in the meat. You can get even one without smoke by using pink salt (prague powder #1). Here's an article you may be interested in: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...smoked-brisket

I wouldn't due too much of anything different. As mentioned, I'd up the heat. I used to be a low and slow 225* guy waiting 10-12 hours for a packer to get done. I'm now at 275* and have cut time considerably without noticing any change to the result. Just get it to where its all wobbly like jello and you're good to go !!!

Comment

• rbenson30
      rbenson30 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I intentionally set it lower so it wouldn't sneak up on me when I was sleeping. Next time Im going with a higher temp. I want to find the time/temp sweet spot.

I was also a low and slow guy but i cook my packers closer to 260 now. If I am doing just a flat I like to wrap those more than points. But as long as you have humidity in the box you shouldn't have to worry about anything drying out.

Comment

Also, I never put a water pan in my kamado. I put a drippings pan, but no water.

Comment

add the water pan. On anything less than prime, I like to butterball the flat with canola or peanut oil from the top, with the grain (I inject my regular injection mix from the side with the multi hole needle with the grain). I cook them both together. oh and embrace the crutch.
        Last edited by texastweeter; January 29, 2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Water pan in a kamado? I’ve never done that, countless cooks over 5 years. Not saying it doesn’t do anything, but you don’t need it.

• rbenson30
          rbenson30 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't do a lot of injecting and definitely need to improve my technique. I think I was going against the grain and it was spraying everywhere!! Next time Ill remember to go with the grain.
          Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here