Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef ribs, an all-night smoke by moonlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef ribs, an all-night smoke by moonlight

Tonight I have a rare night off work right in the middle of my normal work nights. I'm staying up to keep my schedule of course, and what better thing to occupy my time than smokin some meat??

I found a nice deal on a rather large rack of beef spare (back) ribs. Packaged in one long rack like pork instead of the more common smaller chunks. I can only assume it was trimmed off a rib roast. CAB Angus, $3.09/lb. I'm not complaining.

Here it is in the package:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6170.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	44682

And on the plate:

Name:	IMAG6179.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	44683

Name:	IMAG6180.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	44684

Salted for approx 2hrs, then a light spritz of Pam and generous amount of Big Bad Beef Rub. Yes I had to clean the messy table.

Name:	IMAG6183.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	44685

Meanwhile, smoker preheated with a chimney of charcoal starting my ash wood fire.

Name:	IMAG6176.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	44686

Water pan under it as a buffer. Some pecan and red oak chunks to add to the ash, but I'm not sure it will make a big difference in flavor since the fire is 99% ash logs, but what the hey.

Here it lies to do its thing.

Name:	IMAG6184.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	44687

One hour in, and the meat temp is at 147. Cooker temp avg 250, now settled at 234.

I'll probably let them go 5 or 6 hours since they're pretty thick for beef backs. Then double wrap and either cambro or 170 oven.

I'll update as things progress...

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

I'm heading to the airport and will be there for dinner!

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
          I'm heading to the airport and will be there for dinner!
          I thought you were done traveling? (joke)

Comment

2.5 hrs in, meat= 171, cooker= 230.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              I thought you were done traveling? (joke)
              For this I'll make an exception... Assuming there is also beer

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                2 varieties: Coors Batch 19, and MHL...and 2 varieties of red wine. And white. And Makers Mark.

When can I expect you? I'll leave the porch light on.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Best case I'd be on a plane mid day and there by dinner.

They look amazing.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you sir! They looked better than any I've bought before, and prior ones have always turned out simply delectable. I am looking forward to these.

By the way, great choice of wine in your signature!

Which? All? Or one or 2 in particular?

Comment

I'll bring my own chair and blanket!

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fly to Charlotte, get a connecting flight at CLT and you & Pit Boss head on up.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hey, do you have any pictures up that show the Vertical smoker you made? I wanna see that bad boy in action man.

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
                Which? All? Or one or 2 in particular?
                Big fan of Cab Sauv (isn't every red fan?), and Sangiovese. Never had Super Tuscan per se, but from what I understand it's a Sangiovese (or Chianti) and Cab Sauv blend, correct? Don't see how that can be bad at all. I enjoy a lot of blends too. Even cheaper blends like Beringer's Smooth Red Blend is great. It's up there with their merlot. I typically favor dry heavy reds.

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah he's got very good taste in wine. In that he likes the same stuff we do!

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are correct about Super Tuscan being a blend of essentially sangiovese and cab sauv. I'm not a fan of merlot. I find it flat and lacking in good red wine complexity. That said, I'm all in favor of everyone drinking what they like with no apologies. It's all a matter personal taste.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not much of a merlot guy either but I've had decent ones. Usually I end up thinking 'this should be a cab or a zin' every time I have merlot. I really like Cline Zinfandel too. Excellent for my palate.

Man, that pic of them naked on the plate was mouth-watering in itself. Enjoy those

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I thought that when I seen them on the shelf in the store.

3.5 hrs in: meat = 183 pit = 253 (no crutch)

Comment

Not the best pic since had to use flash, but here's about 3.5 hrs in.

Name:	IMAG6187.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	44803

Comment

• Ray
                    Ray commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like a great pic to me! Makes me want to try beef ribs soon.

Yum!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here