Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of beef ribs do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of beef ribs do I have?

Before the holidays beef ribs were pretty cheap, so I bought a few packs and froze them, and now I’m thinking about making a nice crockpot meal with them. (So shoot me for not using smoke, oh well.)

Anyhow, I’d guess they were back ribs, because of the longer, curved bone, but there’s an awful lot of meat on top. They could also be like a plate of ribs that the butcher separated, y’know? I’m confident that I could do just about anything with them and they’ll taste pretty good, but knowing what they actually are would be nice, I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	72A0F2F1-FAD1-4FB8-AF2D-DF86E02475AB.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	445824Click image for larger version

Name:	2F6C952F-5502-498B-BDC0-D60FB661EFA6.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	445825

My response prolly aint gonna help much, but after a few adult beverages my best guess is them ribs came from a cow.

Comment

Looks like short ribs to me.

Comment

Those are back ribs, with a healthy amount of meat on them. Yummy, and a source for gnawing on the bone for a long time!

Comment

That bone almost/ looks like a feather bone, wide on one end and skinnier on the other. Look at the various muscles that look like chuck/ rib.

Ive never seen that cut here.

Comment

The curvature of the bone I can see looks like it has to be from the top part of the rib near the backbone (back ribs). From the musculature at the top I would guess they are from the front end of the rib cage (under the shoulder blade). Similar to what would be "country style" ribs on a hog. Interesting cut... Lottsa meat and oughta be tasty, even from a crock pot... Enjoy!

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              That's exactly what I was thinking, they look like country style beef ribs. I'll grab another shot when they thaw.

need a pic that is not cryopacked

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll get a photo when they thaw.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here