Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My best chuck roast yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just picked up a 5lb Chuck to do tomorrow. Will definitely give this a try. Did you take internal temp to 203°?

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes i did.

Well chuck roast day rolled around again. I made a few more adjustments to my technique including just covering the aluminum pan with foil instead of wrapping and pouring the juice into the foil Troutman . I also chopped instead of pulling (much easier). And I revised my custom rub and named it the Five Plus Eight Rub since it has 5 spice and 8 other ingredients. I'm not sure if I would change anything else because it seems to be dialed in.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Any money shots?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      No I was lazy and just tossed it into the fridge instead of taking any pics.
      Last edited by Attjack; February 15, 2018, 06:12 PM.

Attjack did you put the last one on a rack in the pan? How tightly did you put the foil around the pan and at what temp did you do that? Thanks.

Comment

Flat Rocker I actually didnt use a rack and got bark on the vast majority of the roast. I tightly wrapped the foil onto the pan between 160 and 170. Took it to 203. I did snap this pic after it had been in the fridge. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180215_160459.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	455575

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks really good!

I also used the pan smoking technique on my last pork shoulder, and added the juice back into the pulled pork. Not sure if I'll always do that with pork shoulder because it's juicier by nature, and I like a more pronounced bark. In fact I think I prefer not wrapping at all if time allows for pork shoulders. However catching the juice in a pan with a rack is what I'll try next time. I also always use a vinegar sauce for pork shoulder whereas I am now completely satisfied with only adding the juices and fat from the chuck roast back into the meat.

Comment

I have also done pulled beef..
        Meathead style..

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Attjack

• KevinG
          KevinG commented
          Editing a comment
          That's awesome looking chuck! Do you take that in to work and share with your paramedic colleagues? Also, does everyone ski in Norway? Your ski team at the olympics is fantastic? They’re impressive to watch!

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks @KevinG!
          The saying about Norwegians is that we are born with skis on their legs.. :-) Well not all Norwegians ski over here.. The Norwegian skiteam are impressive but they do get a lot of competition from other nations so they have to "work"for it. But i do enjoy the american and canadian skijumpers.. They are getting good.. Yeah, i do share some bbq with my colleagues.

This post has turned into one good chuck-a-thon!! Congrats to all. Got one in the fridg salting....

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          My regular rotation lately has been Chuck roast, pork shoulder, 2 chickens. Then I make broth and from that soup. I mix in other stuff too like tri tips, salmon, thighs, burgers, etc. Etc. etc.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here