Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My best chuck roast yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My best chuck roast yet.

I tried smoking it in an aluminum pan in order to save the juices. I can't see going back. I also let it run hot. It peaked at 289 at one point. It went on at 7:30 am and was done at 12:30 pm.

I dry brined overnight. Used a custom rub with many components of BBB rub, but with 5 spice, cayenne, extra garlic powder and salt. Put it in the pan until it stalled. Then I wrapped it and added the juice from the pan.

Once done I pulled the beef, and mixed it up in its own juices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	-ibxSN5wQm31GfhRR5TZY2xMKpDTSkrRsVV1XCiPbdsTmyE2UWK1t6znIp8UheuOuhslS39Dq50AXlsdtDjgzdrRqyJ-81BD6uX5pik3xfO8O6vSfAjLvlAD40lEJhStwekf4dEymhdA3Tm12IJcaD0PQ9DfLsUHF01nAXt7Cw0tGp1J7mbNbBu3dxA5CIGxtAkGw8yKVdb9FZSLfz4KWD8uvLDU98p16GK7NeyB92h_ngLfgwCHkqMO5A9a-ex
Views:	162
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	445165

Name:	4OACoMGoZX0twwl6pI9PeYb8XpGou16kKe5LicBfuLu3A73le6iqV4VL75UTHVefPZIxD8KSj0Dp3jYAlexEl5RAuMcy4zgz3U9hRrE2FJ0gB4hhHbxzyeWnbi1kLiMzMlnoFiu5aeTnBmwNg5fIsxfPkSpfaKSkzo8_WFuXywEgQPxaQ0ntLAYgQgxy2c1bd1QKlSNSar5-9_IHsW-z6mUrqq7TTZYvhc37MU_GvT31xKVfSOsdj4WfiWJfKKu
Views:	149
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	445166

Name:	PL8ZnMyb57G5fNCoTUESx-HRFNYsWHbEwCfs9QzPoVhhvBclcai1W8YD_C3Ie42gR3wDoemW4732bVzpTonL7caPZSyRBOmIP1PLZDIAEUthM4msQF17n7wl_PuWZuvmulwqTQeB42MrcQN9qT2atVYWXIwhtEQOoJHsq2w6QpItcIXiUj4ckdt4uvlBMOcc1eMnqhKxEBrwoGo-Of_blreVYhVBpok0DYxVEXtjv2dOcmCilGYLKnHAd0StFjp
Views:	155
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	445167

Name:	oNKNsI30BfX1bfBOrO1WrFCLZJRFKPYzRKva25P6cApAxwkAXNlKVsEgLDBAuns-IxrGxCCINE21W01WJ5O4ZVICFmn4Z6F-41naKytg9crZ_ax4ktX5MJRnQUaAMa1uu_HtTJjJyf8EAQ0KDZ6x4EJjHTg_MCgessIx-_rZVEP0PyvDoHyb-Z_lC1BlqaDXkrsprV0buk-TQJbEyRFLjqWIhLze-K6BeXTpP1QKva5CAYq1CxnbTxxV4NGw7b4
Views:	151
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	445168

looks Good!

Comment

Looks good to me, but what's that green stuff you put it on? Just for presentation right? 😁

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot to wash the plate.

Looks fantastic!

Comment

that's pretty close to how i do it. it looks amazing!

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          My last one was particularly dry so I decided to do something about it. I've been wasting a lot of juice.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Did a sous vide chuck bookended by smoking and got a very good result by saving the purge juices though this is probably less fussing overall and I’ll do this next time.

• DeusDingo
          DeusDingo commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack i do the same thing with everything i smoke (pretty much). those juices are magical and add a lot to the final product.

That looks amazing! Definitely doing it that way next time. I was already planning on doing the wrap.

Comment

Beautiful !!! OK I'm coming clean, been cooking a lot in foil pans lately for the very same reason, capture those juices. Nice work !!!

Comment

Pans have worked well fer me, long many years...
            Note: ya can use a bakin rack or summat in yer pan, get 360° bark, an keep yer juices...

Jus Sayin

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              My friend is speaking truth! Yeah buddy!!!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, do the same...good mention

• Baltassar
              Baltassar commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought a couple of smaller hotel pans for this exact purpose. But yes, they do need to get washed. I have not noticed much difference as to smoke. Smoke seems to find a way.

Congrats. It's always nice to see improvement.

Comment

Nice! Great looking cook.

Comment

Looks great. How do you keep the Juices from drying up during the cook? I put a pan with water under the last Brisket I did and ended up with nothing.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Were you cooking your brisket indirect?

• Pirate Scott
                  Pirate Scott commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dr ROK yah on a pellet grill, I had it suspended above an aluminum pan with a rack. Added a little water figuring it would help keep the juice from evaporating.

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd guess that since you had it suspended over the pan in a pellet grill, the convection around the hunk of meat evaporated more of the juices being expelled than id it were setting in a pan which would deflect some of the moving air currents.

That looks pretty fantastic. I may have to give this method a try.

Comment

Gosh that looks tasty, Attjack . You guys are convincing me to give aluminum pans a try. I was concerned that they would partially block the smoke deposition on the meat and interfere with bark formation, but your results and Jerod's (and others) over on this topic have me mulling over the use of a pan on my WSCGC. I'll still hook 'n hang on my PBC, though.

Did you have the chuckie on a roasting rack in that pan to keep it from swimming in its juices? How was the bark formation?

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; January 26, 2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No I didn't think to set it on a rack until Mr. Bones mentioned that. So the bottom didn't form much of a bark, but the other 5 sides did. I'll use a rack next time.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the additional info, Attjack .

K.

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    On the other hand having the meat touching the juices as a heat sink may have kept them from completely evaporating away?

What I've been doing lately, just as an FYI, is starting out nekkid in the cooker to try and pick up some bark, smoke and color to about 100* then shifting to the pan. To retain the juices and solve for the crutch, you can just cover the pan with a sheet of foil and let the roast braise. I know a lot of traditional guys don't like this method but I began seeing it more and more in competition cooking so decided to give it a try. Works for me, but that's one man's opinion.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe I'll give that a shot!

• Oakgrovebacon
                    Oakgrovebacon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have been doing that style of pan method for years. For beef and pork. Works well here.

Amazing pulled chuck Attjack! Using a pan is my new favorite way too!

I’ve dry brined, added rub, smoked and pulled chuck roasts in my Drip 'N Griddle. Lots of juicy goodness to mix back in. No bottom bark but more than enough of top/side bark for me. It was nice to use the DnG for the entire process and nothing else to clean.

Before the smoke

Name:	IMG_4727.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	445690

Just over half way

Name:	IMG_4756.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	445689

Pulled

Name:	IMG_4812.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	445688

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc it only took a few minutes to clean. A short soak with a little water, scrape with a spatula, then scrub with some barkeepers friend. Looks new!

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good to know, fuzzydaddy. Thanks!
                    K.

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That barkeeper stuff is amazing, we used it to get rust stain of vinyl siding. Magical.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here