Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windy tenderloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windy tenderloin

My wife and I couldn't think of what to make for Christmas dinner. We finally decided on reverse seared tenderloin with a variation of the Big Bad Beef Rub. We went from 20 degrees and snow, to 32 and 25 knot winds with higher gusts, just as the cook was starting. Perfect "Q" weather, right? The old 7-in-one hates the wind, but I'm keeping a "steady" 190-210. Had we not tacked up a bit of plywood to the porch, the cooker wouldn't stay lit at any useful temp, for this cook at least. At least the cherry wood chips are giving off their goodness. You have to stand up-wind of course..lol

Since this wind will prevent me from searing outside(NOT safe in these conditions where I'm cooking), I'll sear 'em in a carbon steel skillet, maybe with a bit of blackening seasoning. A few Yukon gold potatoes and some asparagus , and we'll be good to go.

Nice!!!!

Comment

Sounds good. Pics!

Comment

I tried searing in wind similar to that, ended up with an ok crust and medium plus. Will definitely hit the skillet next time.

Comment

Tell me more about this "blackening seasoning" Mr. Chefman!

Comment

• Strat50
            Strat50 commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a variation of Paul Prudhome's recipe. Paprika(2T.), oregano and thyme(2 tsp. each), pepper(½ tsp each of black and white+¼ tsp cayenne), garlic powder, onion powder(1tsp each), and basil(½ tsp). The meat is salted before dredging(of course..lol). When ready to cook, rub with clarified butter, olive oil, etc, then season with the blackening spices. It works equally well in a hot skillet or on the "Q."

This recipe works with any protein. It is especially deadly on fresh salmon, halibut, and shrimp, but is killer with steak, pork, and chicken too. It just depends on what you are serving it with.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice. Thank you good Sir!

Okay, a couple pics. Left is the tenders rubbed at the first check. Internal temp 60, cook temp 190. The right pic is 4 pm as the sun sets. Blowing like crazy. I ended up "bronzing" the steaks instead of blackening. Same blackening spices, but less spice, and a bit less cooking heat. They tasted great along with some portos, spuds, and asparagus. No pics of dinner as we were too hungry to wait!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here