Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing Rib Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Parrish
    replied
    Barry I don't care what the ladies said. Tell them it's myoglobin You done good. Nice cook Sir!

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    Ok, IT is 129*F, I had to think of the wife and daughter. Off it comes.

I started cutting within 5 min. of removal.

Thanks Dave for the 127*F. 129*F wasn't to bad and everybody liked it except the wife and daughter. Oh well, I will feed them junk next time.

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    replied
    Agreed, that is looking mighty fine

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    replied
    I love your pics. What you're doing is as good as one can get. Beautiful job. Now, just the wait till your temp arrives.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Looks promising!

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    2nd hour complete, IT is 99*F and it is starting to get some color.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    one hour and 10 min into the cook. Meat IT at start was 40*F and is now 64*F.

I am trying to decide what I will have for desert tonight. Vanilla Bean ice cream, Butter Pecan ice cream, or Peppermint ice cream with hot fudge. I made all three and am leaning towards the Peppermint. Oh I also made the hot fudge which was an interesting experience as it was my first time and an unknown recipe. Everyone says I nailed it though.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
    I will keep an eye on 127*F and give it a try. I had an IT probe go bad yesterday doing the Christmas Eve ham. Fortunately I had a back up and caught it early in the cook so no harm. It is scary and keeps you on your toes.

Been there, done that. It definitely keeps you on your tippy toes. Can't wait for pics!

I have a lot of pics I want to upload, but at the moment I've done something to my phone that prevents me from syncing it to my laptop.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
    Cool beans. In my experience prime rib REALLY likes 130F, so if you can get it off the heat at 127F, which will likely rest up a couple or three degrees while you're getting it to the table and ready to cut, you'll have a VERY happy family
    I will keep an eye on 127*F and give it a try. I had an IT probe go bad yesterday doing the Christmas Eve ham. Fortunately I had a back up and caught it early in the cook so no harm. It is scary and keeps you on your toes.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Cool beans. In my experience prime rib REALLY likes 130F, so if you can get it off the heat at 127F, which will likely rest up a couple or three degrees while you're getting it to the table and ready to cut, you'll have a VERY happy family

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    Thanks for the encouragement Dave. I like rare but, the wife will eat med. rare so 130-135*F here we come. It should be fine, I will know in about 3 hrs. And yes, I will get a good cross section cut pic.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    No rules in the bedroom or kitchen Marauderer, so do what your family likes. When you cook with the bones on you just have less browned ribeye meat because the tender "steak" meat is nowhere near the surface.

Also, the rib meat in between the bones probably won't be very tender, as that's the kind of meat with a lot of connective tissue, and likes to be taken up to 190F+ before it gets tender.

What the bones will do though is help keep the inside at a nice and tender medium color/temp (I seem to recall y'all like medium, right?)

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    So, while the grill was heating up I oiled and peppered the roast.

Installed the IT probe and put the roast ribs down on the grill.

In reading MH's recipe for the SRR, he says do not cook with the bones in. I know he is always correct but, I have to see how bad it is because my family likes their SRR with the bones in.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray View Post
    Hey Barry...do you have pics of the finished product? Love the plan! I just did a smoked salmon to supplement Christmas brunch. It turned out great; short cook time, smoked with hickory chips in my electric smoker. There was none left after the meal...that says it all!
    I am getting ready to fire up the Rec Tec and get the SRR on. It should take about 3-3.5 hrs at 225*F. I will post some pics.
    Last edited by Marauderer; December 25, 2014, 03:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ray
    replied
    Hey Barry...do you have pics of the finished product? Love the plan! I just did a smoked salmon to supplement Christmas brunch. It turned out great; short cook time, smoked with hickory chips in my electric smoker. There was none left after the meal...that says it all!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here