Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing Rib Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barry, that looks fantastic! So 127 to 130 is the call on finish temp prior to pulling from the Rec Tec? I think I'll follow that guidance to get those results. Many thanks for capturing the cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
      Initial impression, They are great. The D5 is much more sensitive to heat meaning a lower heat provides the same results on the D5 that a higher heat did on the old 3 ply. I am liking the curves on the sides and edges also. Overall I think I made the correct decision. I hope you'll enjoy your and get as much enjoyment out of them that I am.
      Excellent! She's been readin up on how to cook with them and is reading much the same thing. Cooking at lower than usual temps, being careful when you apply salt, and not using the SS for high heat searing are the most important rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
        Barry, that looks fantastic! So 127 to 130 is the call on finish temp prior to pulling from the Rec Tec? I think I'll follow that guidance to get those results. Many thanks for capturing the cook.
        Ray that's the final temp you want after the sear, not the final temp after the low and slow phase of the cook. I usually take it off the low and slow heat around 115 to 120. Then sear it till I hit 127F. Then I take it off the grill. By the time I serve the roast it will rest up to 130F.

Comment

All you need to do for the ladies is run their slices under the broiler for about 45 seconds a side. I've been doing that for years. I tell them that I can get it more done for them, but not less done for everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
            Ray that's the final temp you want after the sear, not the final temp after the low and slow phase of the cook. I usually take it off the low and slow heat around 115 to 120. Then sear it till I hit 127F. Then I take it off the grill. By the time I serve the roast it will rest up to 130F.
            Uh Dave, I only did low and slow. I didn't reverse sear at the end. If I was going to reverse sear, since I am slow and not to quick, I would take it off at 110 and then seared it to get it to 130ish

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
              Excellent! She's been readin up on how to cook with them and is reading much the same thing. Cooking at lower than usual temps, being careful when you apply salt, and not using the SS for high heat searing are the most important rules.
              I do searing with mine and they caramelize well. Again not on high. I usually turn the gas on high for 30-60 sec and then down on med hi for a min the med until it is hot. Then add the oil, swish it around and then put in my meat. The meat should sizzle immediately upon hitting the pan. Give it 30 sec and then it moves around and doesn't stick to the pan. Keep your heat on med and with the thickness of the pan it has a lot of heat stored in it flip your meat to the other side and same thing. It never sticks to the pan.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here