Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing Rib Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing Rib Roast

My Family has traditionally had a SRR for Christmas day dinner.

This year it will be done on the Rec Tec rib side down. I dry brined it yesterday and will only do an oil rub and pepper before putting it on the smoker at 225*F. I will cook till the IT is 135*F as my Wife and Daughter don't care for it rare. We will be having potato wedges, corn on the cob, and broccoli with it.

oh yeh......

Comment

Sounds Great, Barry! We have something similar planned...

Hope you have a wonderful Holiday!

Comment

Would love to do one but I did the turkeys too well and that's all they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          oh yeh......
          I understand Jerod, that says it all!!

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
            Sounds Great, Barry! We have something similar planned...

Hope you have a wonderful Holiday!
            Hey Steve, "What's for dinner tomorrow night"??

I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              Would love to do one but I did the turkeys too well and that's all they want.
              That's ok John,

There are a lot worse punishments than having to fix great smoked turkey for Christmas dinner.

I know in my heart that you really feel honored.

Comment

Hey Barry...do you have pics of the finished product? Love the plan! I just did a smoked salmon to supplement Christmas brunch. It turned out great; short cook time, smoked with hickory chips in my electric smoker. There was none left after the meal...that says it all!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  Hey Barry...do you have pics of the finished product? Love the plan! I just did a smoked salmon to supplement Christmas brunch. It turned out great; short cook time, smoked with hickory chips in my electric smoker. There was none left after the meal...that says it all!
                  I am getting ready to fire up the Rec Tec and get the SRR on. It should take about 3-3.5 hrs at 225*F. I will post some pics.
                  Last edited by Marauderer; December 25, 2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

So, while the grill was heating up I oiled and peppered the roast.

Installed the IT probe and put the roast ribs down on the grill.

In reading MH's recipe for the SRR, he says do not cook with the bones in. I know he is always correct but, I have to see how bad it is because my family likes their SRR with the bones in.

Comment

No rules in the bedroom or kitchen Marauderer, so do what your family likes. When you cook with the bones on you just have less browned ribeye meat because the tender "steak" meat is nowhere near the surface.

Also, the rib meat in between the bones probably won't be very tender, as that's the kind of meat with a lot of connective tissue, and likes to be taken up to 190F+ before it gets tender.

What the bones will do though is help keep the inside at a nice and tender medium color/temp (I seem to recall y'all like medium, right?)

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Dave. I like rare but, the wife will eat med. rare so 130-135*F here we come. It should be fine, I will know in about 3 hrs. And yes, I will get a good cross section cut pic.

Comment

Cool beans. In my experience prime rib REALLY likes 130F, so if you can get it off the heat at 127F, which will likely rest up a couple or three degrees while you're getting it to the table and ready to cut, you'll have a VERY happy family

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
                            Cool beans. In my experience prime rib REALLY likes 130F, so if you can get it off the heat at 127F, which will likely rest up a couple or three degrees while you're getting it to the table and ready to cut, you'll have a VERY happy family
                            I will keep an eye on 127*F and give it a try. I had an IT probe go bad yesterday doing the Christmas Eve ham. Fortunately I had a back up and caught it early in the cook so no harm. It is scary and keeps you on your toes.

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                              I will keep an eye on 127*F and give it a try. I had an IT probe go bad yesterday doing the Christmas Eve ham. Fortunately I had a back up and caught it early in the cook so no harm. It is scary and keeps you on your toes.

Been there, done that. It definitely keeps you on your tippy toes. Can't wait for pics!

I have a lot of pics I want to upload, but at the moment I've done something to my phone that prevents me from syncing it to my laptop.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here