Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak still red at 170F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you did over shoot the probe placement the good news is that you verified the surface was up to temp and most of the nasties are on the surface so the odds are in your favor.

Comment

I shared these pics in a few other places also for feedback and had comments it might be a red dye used to make meat look good to sell. Can anyone fill me in on that? These cuts were marked as reduced in price and we bought on the sell by date.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Where did you buy this meat? I cannot picture any reputable grocer injecting old meat with red dye...

• spoon
        spoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Local grocery chain. I never heard of it happening before but a few people have suggested that.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Doubtful. Usually they use a gas to keep it red in the foam trays, but that's only surface treatment.

That ain't artificial dye.....

Artificial dye is for a surface treatment they don't penetrate the meat.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 9, 2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

You sure the 7 wasn't a 2 ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	thick glasses.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	437289

Comment

Sous vide for the cooking and sear after. Hard to get it wrong.

Comment

Yep, probe placement.

Comment

I'm late to this party, but the meat you showed WAS NOT cooked to 170°F. Perhaps a bad thermometer, perhaps a poor placement of the probe, perhaps....? I dunno, but that meat was around 130--135°F. Period.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here