Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast Time

Put a chuck roast on this morning. Avg temp has been 240. After an hour and fifteen minutes, temp has gone from 37 to 115. Seems fast. Or will the chuck hit a stall like a brisket?

yes it will.

Comment

Yes it will hit a stall

Comment

Thanks. I will expect a stall. Cooking the roast to pull and freeze. Also cooking 6 racks of baby back. Some for dinner, one for a neighbor and the rest to vacuum seal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuck Roast 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	435555

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	435560

Comment

They good already

Comment

Big time stall on that dude. I've had Country Style ribs stall.

Comment

Yes, it hit about 145 and isn't moving. Do you wrap with beef broth or leave it bare all the way. Again, going to pull this one.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Wrap based on bark. Good deep dark bark. ruff ruff

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                I will wrap once the bark is decent. I don't want a ton of really hard bark if I'm pulling it. Much easier to get the stuff broken down into more uniform sized pieces if it's a little softer.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                No wrap here, I jus' wait it out...

I’m with Jerod Broussard. Wrap, but after you got the bark you want. Also, for pulled beef, the chuck may not be probe tender until a higher temperature than typical brisket — don’t be afraid if it goes to 205-208. Then hold it as close to finish temp as possible for about an hour if you can before the Cambro (or use a warming oven).

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                xaktly Basically need to overcook for pulling.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                anything i pull goes to 208 degrees, and is cooled slowly. well except chicken and tuna. you do that and cool over at least 2 hours, and you can drop it on the block, and SPLAT itl almost pulls itself.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Kmhfive Where've you been? Miss hearing from you... Hope all is well.

jlazar Smoked a chuck for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Yes, it stalls. Mine stalled at 147 for an hour fifteen. I wrapped after firm bark. Held in cooler for about an hour. Wish I had held for two. It didn't pull easily and I ended up with pulled-chopped chuck. Tasted great and family wants me to do another one as soon as the wind chills don't begin with a -

Comment

5.5 hours and I am at 163. I am going to let it go longer since I am waiting on the ribs anyway. Figure I will pull at 180 and wrap with beef broth. When you wrap, how tightly do you wrap the foil? Also plan to cambo a couple of hours at least once I hit over 205.

Lots of moisture in the G2. Haven't had to spray it at all.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't say I wrap too tight. I try to be gentle so that any barked edges don't bust through. I concentrate more on a getting a good seal, not so much a super tight fit.

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i usually end up pulling at 165 depending on the stall, and I used to wrap super tight in foil...now i use pans and top with double layer of foil. takes maybe an extra 30 minutes, but turns put the same and is so much easier.

8 hours in, IT 170. Just wrapped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roast 1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	435775

Comment

jlazar what did you cook on for this chuck?

Comment

• jlazar
                    jlazar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Backwoods Chubby G2. Used a mix of hickory and apple chunks with Kingsford Original.

Oh yeah...

Comment

sign me UP!

Comment

Gorgeous!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here