Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket

did my first brisket today; not a full packer, but a flat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2196.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	431739Took much longer than expected, but very tasty. Given the thickness of the smoke ring, may have left it a little too long.

Looks great. What temp did you pull it?

Comment

Looks like a great HOF! The ring stops once you get to a certain IT, so that’s not a sign of too long a cook. How did it taste? Did you hold it in a Cambro for at least two hours?

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        kmhfive OH ! at what IT does the ring stop or does the meat type, cut, etc.. determine that?

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        holehogg , docblonder has done some research and has better answer for what temperature, but it has to do with when the myoglobin denatures and I think it’s close to 130F.
        Last edited by kmhfive; December 31, 2017, 10:45 AM.

well....an interesting question. My fire was almost done (about 12 hour mark) and the outside temp was dropping quickly, so I wrapped it in foil and finished in oven. The temp when I wrapped it was around 155. Another 2 hours, and it was at 202. Let it rest until 150ish. Next time, I'll start earlier than 6:30 :-)

I didn't cambro when I took the picture, but it's snoozing now. My taste test was quite good.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

So your pit temp was a little lower than 225F, I’d guess. That’s why you had all that time to build a smoke ring.

Comment

surprisingly, my average temp on weber was probably around 230. It would hover in mid 220s, move to 240, back to 220.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Looks better than average to me!

Comment

You are off to a good start.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

"Took much longer than expected" lol get use to that! it always takes longer than you think! good looking cook!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here