Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthday Cook Sear Experiment: USDA Prime NY Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this all seems like very valuable work. i look forward to future experiments

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out my latest post!

Happy Birthday! Great experiment! I’m going to have to look for that rub!
    Last edited by kmhfive; January 3, 2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out my latest post! Holy moly!

try the cast iron. I have never used char crust or whatever, but i am intrigued. I will soon. sometimes i will rub the steaks with a bit of corn starch mixed into the seasoning to help dry them out. I have found that the secret to a really good sear is conduction heat with a tiny bit of beef tallow on it and a really dry steak.

Comment

So scottranda I was looking at the nutrition info on Char Crust. It appears to have a high sodium content, so did you dry brine your steaks, or just go with the rub alone. BTW, called the Butcher's Market and they have a good selection, but not all, of the products. Whole Foods and the Peach Stand also stock this.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        I did dry brine it. It wasn’t too salty. But, I was probably light on the salt when I dry brined it (I normally am)

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Check out the latest post! And let me know if you find Java flavor of Char Crust in any CLT stores.

Alright ya’ll. Soooo much closer. I used the No Grate technique, but I think "pitchfork" technique sounds better. Sous vide at 137 for 2 hours, cold shock for 10 min, blotted bone dry, painted with beef love so the Char Crust sticks, used Char Crust on the outside of the steak. Seared those bad boys as hot as I could get it with the steak hovering over the charcoal chimney. Those suckers were ungulfed with flames at some parts of the sear, but I kept flipping every 15 seconds. Each time I flipped over, the side which was receiving the heat was bubbling like crazy. Seared until mostly black, and that CRUST was exactly what I’ve been trying to do! Give it a try (the method and Char Crust)!
      Attached Files

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        badf00d thx for that recommendation! I can’t find the Java flavor, so I’ll try to find this. Grillbillies in Raleigh has Oak Ridge products. I’m going to check there when I’m in town.

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        You've motivated me to try some corn starch on the steak, which is supposed to help keep it from steaming. I wonder if mixing some with Carne Crosta would work out. https://www.littlethings.com/whyd-sh...-great-secret/

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        badf00d I watched that this morning, but the MAJOR problem I had was I didn’t see her finished product/sear. Who leaves out the best part of it truly works?

By the way, flame ups are nothing to be concerned about. It’s all about how hot your grates are (that will burn your spices and have off-flavors). My opinion for now on Pit Boss Emeritus first put that nugget in my head, and after a skeptical test, I’m a believer!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!!

That steak looks super!

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!!

OK, so i did some quick research the #1 and #2 ingredients in almost all their rubs is wheat and then sugar. I think that is what is responsible for the crust. I have some St.Elmos rub that is high in sugar, next ribeye I cook (I'm surr it will be in the next 5 days or less) I willuse it and some corn starch on one (i use corn starch to sear often with a steak), and wheat flour and the St.Elmos on another and compare. They are aso low on sodium allowing you to cake it on thick,St.Elmos is not. If it seems to work, ill start R&D on my own version of a char crust soon. I'm thinking heavy on the chilis (of course, its me), some corn starch, garlic, onion, dried cilantro, and a mixture of sugar and crystalized lime juice

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          make you a deal, if I perfect it, ill ship you a jar of it just for opening my eyes to it. Its up to you to remind me, ill have drank many a bottle between now and then

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Done!!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          your nod of approval will mean more than anything on it. I always "3rd party" test my rubs to keep pride out of it.

texastweeter some cane sugar
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice work.

Happy to have switched you on to this stuff. I have to reengage with it.

Comment

Hey Scott, thanks for a great thread. How do you think the Char Crust would be on, say, a hamburger, piece of fish, or even some veggies?

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes! In fact, the packaging mentions burgers, fish, and veggies.

so when are you opening your restaurant? 1 steak please.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here