Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IT of Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT of Brisket

So I am close to finishing my first overnight brisket. Internal temperature of the flat is approaching 200. Do I pull it after it reaches 203 in the point or in the flat?

When it is probe tender. If the probe will go in the brisket like warm butter it's done.

Comment

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      +1. Start checking now. Poke it in several spots.

Thanks. Just checked it and warm butter it is. Now the waiting game

Comment

Be sure to wrap it and put in in a cooler for a couple of hours.......critical step, sounds like you're on point !!!

Comment

Yep. It’s in the cooler now wrapped in towels. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          If you've got any photos of it, I'd sure like to see one or two. :-)

It went fast just have the point left which I think I’m gonna turn into burnt ends. The taste was good but it was too tender. Fell apart after cutting almost like pulled beef. Could this be from setting in oven/cambro for 9 hours? Or the fact that it was a select brisket? Or a combination of both? Excited that this means I get to practice again! Right?

Comment

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          You’ll definitely need more practice!! Don’t know if I’ve ever heard of a brisket "too tender" but I bet it was tasty!

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          I have started checking tenderness at 195 IT. IT of 203 is almost always fine but that can be a little overdone on some briskets.

Originally posted by Rjbachtold View Post
        It went fast just have the point left which I think I’m gonna turn into burnt ends. The taste was good but it was too tender. Fell apart after cutting almost like pulled beef. Could this be from setting in oven/cambro for 9 hours? Or the fact that it was a select brisket? Or a combination of both? Excited that this means I get to practice again! Right?
        That is a super duper long hold. Best to let it cool down to about 140 then hold at 150 if you gonna go over 5 hours.

Slicing while HOT will also cause that. 140-145 internal best for slicing.

You can also angle your knife somewhat into the grain of the muscle, rather than going totally against it, to help the slices maintain their integrity.

I've never ever ever had any complaints about overly tender brisket.

Comment

Ya I know what you mean. I guess I meant it being too much fall apart.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0718DE61-2CB0-4AD1-8218-51A1D23BA605.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	431423 With only the point left, I decided I’d try Meatheads recipe for the burnt ends in the skillet. Juicy for sure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here