Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody got any suggestions for Hanger Steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody got any suggestions for Hanger Steak?

I saw some hanger steaks at the butcher shop last week and would like to cook some? Do I just season them and grill them like any other steak? The grain of the meat looks coarse and I was just wondering if there are any special techniques for preparing and grilling hangers.

I plan to make some chimichurri sauce from the recipe list here to go with the hangers.

Yeah, hang em, high! Oh, wrong movie!

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan ; Evil Roy just showed up in the mail today. We've got it on tap for this weekend with the subzero temps coming in.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Sgt Tyree, have my avatar on, then I will be there in spirit as you watch. Have lots of popcorn. You can tell me about Bing Bell later.

True hanger steak is a part of the diaphragm. Thin, beefy and could be tough. Marinate, sear and slice VERY thin. The original fajita meat. Very good flavor, but the "steak" label is totally advertising!!! Enjoy!

Comment

I love hanger steak. If you get a whole steak, there is a big white piece of sinew running down the middle of it that is super tough, so you'll need to basically make two steaks to cut out the sinew.

Hanger is very beefy, full flavored and fatty. I cook it with lots of salt and grilled over direct heat to med rare. I generally eat it plain but it's so full flavored I think it stands up nicely to a chimichurri sauce. And I disagree that it needs to be marinades or sliced thinly. Against the grain, absolutely. But it def eats like a steak. Probably number 2 or 3 on my steak list after a ribeye and maybe a skirt steak.

Comment

I agree with shify here. There are two ways to cook a hanger steak as I see it:
        1. Hot n fast
        2. Reverse Sear

I tend to do #2 almost always. It has a fantastic, deep, beef flavor. I cook it with lots of salt too, and chimichurri is a great match. Skip the marinade and thin slicing, this is one of the best beef steaks. Slice against the grain, as always, but you need to watch the grain as it changes angle along the length of the steak (see photos in links below).

I have posted two hanger steak cooks in the forum that could offer some ideas, and if you search for it you will find other peoples' recipes.

1. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...890#post242890

2. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...669#post348669

Comment

I've never made it, but I've eaten it. In my top 3 of best steak dinner ever.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here