Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best T-bone on gas grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best T-bone on gas grill

looking for tips and tricks for the best prep and cook procedure for steaks

Here you go: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...akhouse-steaks

... and welcome to the Pit.

Comment

Welcome Blackshirt BBQ

Comment

I grill steaks on a Weber Summit gasser quite frequently. Just too lazy sometimes to build a charcoal fire especially when the weather is not cooperating. I usually cook fairly low, like 250-275* on one side of the grill while using the burners on the opposite side for the heat source (indirect in other words). Get yourself a good meat thermometer to check your temps. You want to get your steak up to about 130* internal temp. At that point I fire up my sear zone (which is a three burner zone in the middle). I get it ripping hot, like 700* then sear the steak by flipping it like 4 times at 30-45 seconds per side. I add a little oil or clarified butter to the side turned up while the other side is searing (the process called reverse searing or searing after the meat is essentially cooked). At that point I'm ready to carve.

What I get is a +/-135* IT medium rare result with a nice seared exterior. As was mentioned above, go to the link on cooking steaks above for a more comprehensive write up of what I just described. Makes the best steaks in town !!!

Comment

All good info above. 135 plus a sear always gets me medium or more instead of medium
          rare. How thick are the T-bones you’re talking about?

Comment

They’re about an inch thick. I’m cold smoking them now. Kind of thin...wasn’t sure if I should cook them slow or fast.

Comment

Slow to 110-120F. then sear quickly. Enjoy!

Comment

Sounds like you are already cooking so this is probably too late, but I would dry brine first, then cook low to 5-10 degrees below target, then sear. If you are truly using cold smoke, be careful with that as the temp is not in the safe zone, and for my taste which is lighter smoke on beef, you might find you get more smoke taste than you want.

Comment

Can any of you recommend a good, but inexpensive, thermometer??

Comment

• jgreen
                    jgreen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you want a fixed in cooker type, the maverick 732 is pretty reasonable or the thermoworks DOT, although for a bit more I like some others. For an instant read, the thermoworks thermopop is pretty reasonable although the thermapen is better if you are willing to spend the extra.

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If at all possible, go with the thermapen. Not the cheapest, but it only hurts once!

Thank you! I recently learned that I’ve been going about this all wrong. So I’m starting over with a clean slate.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here