Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crusting a rib roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crusting a rib roast

I've been doing these since the early '90s, and I've used pretty much every method and made pretty much every mistake there is to make. I'll say that after having done between 50 and 100 rib roasts, I think I got it.

Here's how I crust them. I do 225*, oven or grill or smoker doesn't matter, to an internal of 130* to 135*. (The reason I do it there is that most of my guests ask for "medium".)

Then, instead of using the broiler or going to direct, I get out a cast iron skillet, put some oil or fat in it, and take it up to about 400*. You don't want it too hot or the meat will burn.

Take a pair of carving forks, the two-tined ones, stick one in each end of the roast like it's an ear of corn, and then put the roast in the skillet and roll it around, like that corn is in butter. Do it slowly, watch it, when all the long axis is browned remove one fork and do an end for 10-15 seconds, then do the other end.

The whole thing will take maybe a minute or two, and it is right in front of your face so you can't mess it up. Easy-Peasy! And you will have a hot skillet for that one guest who has to have well done. 5 seconds a side and that slice is gray as a rock, but still tender inside.

I did a rib roast last night and after smoking it to 120F and letting rest to 130F I put it in a 500F oven for 10 min to make the crust (although just smoking it put quite a bit on it). The took 15min to pre-heat which coincided nicely with the rest time.

Comment

I have a rib roast in now and was just pondering whether to try a cast iron or broiler since this is an inside cook (#1s day late b'day dinner).

Comment

Cast iron pans do give superior searing. I've also had pretty good luck with my gasser and its rotisserie. I can achieve about 700-800* by turning the rotisserie element on full blast along with several of the gas burners. Scorching hot, gives great results as well.

Comment

Well, I took option #3. Had a time issue, so I left the roast in the oven and put it up to 500 and the results were pretty good. The pic does not show any crust, but......

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	429313

Was good for an indoor cook. #1's birthday dinner, and she was happy, happy, happy! All I care about.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Great Prioritization, an' Happy B-Day, once again, to yer Missus!

I always crust at 500+. Works perfect for me. Looks beautiful!

Comment

May give this a try on NYE. Thanks!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	26167526_10213973642445421_3954161312776087161_n.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	429623

Sous vided at 135, fridged for a week, rethermed at 130, brushed with a whipped egg white, then crusted with Mrs. O'Leary's...

9/10. I wouldn't fridge for a week, and I'd go straight from the souser to the oven or after a short shock.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Lovely looking roast, perfect temp and doneness. Is shocking really necessary when going right to the oven or the grill for a sear?

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Given that the outer margin of a prime rib is the spinalis muscle and that is the best piece, I tend to think you want the least grey on the margin.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here