Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Rib Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Rib Roast

Good morning and happy holidays. Yesterday was another cook for Chirstmas. I cooked two 4-bone roasts on a Weber (not at my house nor my primary cooker). The roasts clocked in at just over 7 pounds each with bones removed (and frozen for smoking this weekend) and rib cap left on. I salted them and left uncovered in fridge for 24 hours or so. I lit the fire with (Wicked Good Charcoal plus 3 oz cherry wood)) at 1pm. Roasts on at 1:45pm. Dinner served at 5:30 pm. I had to pull the small water pan at 4:45 and let Weber run up to 350 to get them to 115 F. Then I seared them on the gas grill which was preheated. I planned on 3-hours with sear (4.5"x5.5# were roast dimensions.) Next time I'll plan on using the largest measurement for my timing. From ignition to dinner was 4.5 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HGcWp%qSRCyXB84hESivIg.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	429142Click image for larger version

Name:	zx6LIz3zRfajze0ViZm+BQ.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	429143Click image for larger version

Name:	O41ewgADR0WjNGg17uy6jw.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	429145Click image for larger version

Name:	0QQqFU5YSeCNi+jjGbYXYw.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	429146Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ+QQd%ZSSKoZn9gn09TTg.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	429144Click image for larger version

Name:	dPLqFNIhQCCU9NJIRCVRPA.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	429147Click image for larger version

Name:	f2qQNP%rTxK50jpeaTdeJw.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	429148

Great Cook! Yummy!

Comment

Nice work! Mine took a lot longer than I planned too. Didn't eat until nearly 8pm when I told everyone hopefully 6:30, maybe 7.

Comment

Great Job Tim!

Comment

Nice looking roasts. Ours took about an hour and a half roasting on a pellet pooper at 350* to an IT of 130* (rare the way we like it). Cooked bones separate for an added treat.

Name:	xmas day beef.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	429170

Name:	xmas day beef bones.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	429171

Comment

👍👍👍👍👍 I'd Eat That❗️👍👍👍👍👍 "HAPPY NEW YEAR'S❗️"
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

You guys are killin' it.

Comment

Nice Cook! No room to spare.

Comment

Just Fabulous!

Comment

Beef heaven!

Comment

Name:	06AFA03D-B74E-42EA-BC00-2BCD8996C739.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	429460Click image for larger version

Name:	D503A1EF-50B9-40CB-B79C-4BEB1B977CFA.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	429461

Comment

Those look amazing. I didn’t know what a standing rib roast was until my wife asked me to grill one for Christmas dinner. Got a 4 rib USDA Prime one with bones and cap removed from The Fresh Market near me, it was 6lbs. Being utterly clueless, I just followed Meatheads article. Started dry brine Christmas Eve morning, rubbed with cow crust Christmas morning at 9:30am. Dropped it in my old 22” kettle at 10am and let it smoke for 2 hours with a little apple wood til it hit 115F. Moved it over to my new 26” kettle with SNS to sear it. This is where I got slightly derailed - massive flare ups gave me what I thought was a solid sear more quickly than expected and my IT was only 121F. I moved it over to indirect and put the lid on to bring it to 130F, that didn’t take long maybe 8-10 min. It ended up resting for about 10 min while side dishes finished up. I was happy with it for a first try for sure, and more importantly everyone else was thrilled (and stuffed). Now I guess I should ask for a grill grate for the SNS for Father’s Day to help with the flare ups?

Attached Files

Comment

Very nice! Thinking about making my first rib roast for New Years!

Comment

So next year I may try two 5-bone roasts with ribs and cap removed and see how that goes. I love the cap but many do not. Planning to smoke the ribs this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                              Nice work! Mine took a lot longer than I planned too. Didn't eat until nearly 8pm when I told everyone hopefully 6:30, maybe 7.
                              Thanks! That's brutal. I am pretty sure the slow-down was due to cold temps and the Weber losing heat combined with larger total trimmed weight than last year. I take a lot of notes now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here