Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NY Strip Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY Strip Roast

I'll be doing a NY Strip roast for Christmas Eve, I've already trimmed the roast and I'm getting ready to season with salt, as suggested in the website. My question is, should I tie the roast up, or leave it as is?

If it is an oblong shape, I think tying it up to be more round would be recommended... See Meathead's article on Prime Rib, here, item number 5 on the left side>>

There are some tricks to learning how to cook a perfect prime rib, tenderloin, round, rump, and other beef roasts and we have assembled them all in one place! Discover our secrets for ensuring it is cooked right from end to end and with a deeply flavored crust in this ultimate prime rib recipe.

I am thinking that would apply here with a NY Strip roast too... the whole reason for making it rounder is to get more even cooking.

Comment

Ditto to smarkley, round up that sucker. You don't need burnt ends on this. However, you can score the top to make some.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Grove smith! Sounds like you got some good advice here.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains lots of how-tos and please-dos! Hope to hear & see more from you.

Comment

We cook these often at the restaurant for a dinner special. We don't need to tie, at least for the way we serve it. We just treat it as a prime rib, but with a shorter cooking time(of course). There is no wrong answer in a culinary sense, just do what your sensibilities tell you. On a bet, I trimmed and blackened the whole thing on a cast iron griddle. It turned out great(my boss was pissed, at least till we sold it all in 45 minutes!).

Welcome to the pit. Happy Holidays and good smokin' from Houston, Alaska

Comment

Thanks guys - I just picked one of these up at Publix for $6.99 / lb.

I was just going to slice 1.5" steaks out of it and save myself the extra $2 / lb by having the butcher do it.

I am assuming, of course, that a NY Strip roast is where NY Strip steaks come from...

Comment

Strip roast is a pretty firm cut, might not be able to tie it up to round, oval may be as good as it gets. Thanks everyone for the advise, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Festivus et....Enjoy the time with family friends and great food!
              Last edited by Grove smith; December 23, 2014, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Hey there Grover! Welcome to the Pit! I'm looking forward to some pics of this adventure.

Comment

Welcome Grove! We want pics of your cook!

Comment

Respectfully, just Grove, no "R" on the end.

Tonight's menu:

Appetizer-Savory Ricotta and Zucchini Cheesecake
                    Salad- Mixed Greens with Candies Pecans, Craisins and a Wild Mushroom and Red Apple Vinaigrette
                    Entrée- Roast NY Strip Loin with Wild Mushroom Fondue topped with Cheese Cheesy Cobbler and Rosemary Roasted New Potatoes.
                    Dessert- Likely, just more Red Wine!

Comment

Probably smells great by now! I did one a few weeks ago. Trimmed aggressively and tied into as much of an oval as I could get. Here it's been rubbed up with Mr's O'Leary's Cow Crust, which is tough to beat. Ready to go in. About 4 hours on hickory, 215-220. People loved it.

Comment

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have that same pan and wire rack setup.

Originally posted by Grove smith View Post
                      Dessert- Likely, just more Red Wine!
                      That's me most nights

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here