Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first real brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first real brisket

Christmas Eve, no time like the playoffs to jump in the game, right???

So I've done a homemade pastrami, and a tiny brisket flat once (this was terrible), but I've decided to jump on the Costco Prime brisket bandwagon.

Not much prep, but I trimmed the heck out of it, went from nearly 14lb down to 7lb 14oz before injecting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171224_050202-XL.jpg Views:	1 Size:	200.9 KB ID:	428055

So you can see I trimmed a good bit off the end, too, at least 2", trying to get away from the really thin edge of the flat... what do you guys do with all this? I watched Aaron Franklin's trimming videos and this was what he recommended, although I may have gotten a little more aggressive than he did. I ended up tossing the back edge of the flat I cut off (heck, this piece alone had to have been about 1½ pounds!) along with all the fat. Well, not tossed, they are in a bag in the freezer waiting for trash day. I don't have a sausage grinder, unfortunately.

I actually forgot to inject it, so I grabbed some beef broth and injected it after I put it on the smoker, I may have gone a little overboard, probably put about 12-14 oz in it. I can't see that it will hurt anything, though.

Made up my own rub, equal parts freshly ground Tellicherry pepper corns and kosher salt, about half that of garlic powder, a little onion powder, cumin and cayenne. Pretty simple.

It went on just about 5AM, dinner time should be 6PM. I'm thinking such a small (now) brisket shouldn't take overly long, I'd expect to be able to pull by 3-4PM, if it isn't getting out of the stall shortly after noon, I'll crutch it in foil. Couldn't find any actual butcher paper, all I have is parchment paper, and it's pretty thin, with a shiny side that makes me think it's waxed or something, I don't think I want to wrap in that. Nowhere around had any actual brown butcher paper, so I'm going to order some of this from Amazon and I'll have it for the next Prime brisket I have sitting in the fridge wet-aging.

I'm finally warming back up a bit, and I think I better go back to bed for a couple of hours...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171224_050420-M.png Views:	1 Size:	224.4 KB ID:	428056

I'll post more as the day goes on... I sure hope this comes out well, my reputation among the family as the meat guy is on the line.

<edit> Oh yeah, this brisket was supposedly packed on 10/15, so it's well over 60 days aged, maybe even over 80 days. But it smelled just fine when I cut it out of the vacuum sealed plastic. I was a little concerned, so I got a 2nd one a couple weeks ago so I would have a backup, but there was no need. It is fine and dandy.

Now I have another to do mid-January or so, maybe early Feb.
    Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; December 24, 2017, 05:42 AM.

Looking forward to the results.

Comment

Keep us informed on your progress. Don't forget the pictures!

Comment

Looking good! Like the other comments above we want to see the final product. I have a prime brisket in the fridge that I will be doing Wednesday or Thursday. Cheers!

Comment

This is now, after 5½ hours on the smoker:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171224_103335-XL.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	428137

So... who says pellet poopers don't put out any smoke???

Name:	20171224_103358-XL.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	428138

Comment

Lookin' good. Keep the photos coming.

Comment

Fat trimmings you can render into tallow. I did that the first time I did a brisket and got about a quart of the good stuff, so I have thrown away fat because I don't need tallow all that much. When the stuff I have is gone I can make more. As for the beef you cut off, I'd recommend burnt ends or give it a shorter smoke and throw it into chili. The simmer in the chili will tenderize it.

Comment

Took another just now:

Name:	20171224_125444-L.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	428201

Can't tell much difference, honestly. We're at 180F at essentially 8 hours' cook time. I actually started with a hopper of apple pellets because that's what I had in there and I wasn't going to spend time cleaning it out in sub-freezing temps at 0500 hrs. So when I refilled a little while ago, I switched to hickory, not sure it'll make much difference at this point, though.

Comment

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you want bark I recommend you run a tad hotter on a pellet grill. I like 275. Having said that, bark on brisket isn't important to me. I gave up on different pellets because I couldn't taste the difference, so I use perfect mix now.

Looks a Great! What Smoker you using?

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Old timer Traeger BBQ124. Was given to my by my elderly neighbor lady, as her husband had bought it and passed away a couple years ago.

Looking good so far!

Comment

So, I just pulled it off, wrapped in foil and it's "holding" in the faux cambro at the moment. Got about... 3 hours till we eat.

Pictures:

Name:	20171224_143842-L.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	428238

Name:	20171224_143829-L.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	428239

Name:	20171224_144728-L.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	428240

I may have never done a full brisket, but I've read a lot here and I've watched a bunch of videos, including Meathead's and Aaron Franklin's... and let me tell you, I recognize that "wobble wobble"!!!! That temp probe went in like buttah, and I am not kidding!

With this pellet smoker, I don't get as much true crunchy crust, per se, but it comes out more of a rich mahogany, which I prefer to the meteorite look, honestly. And the bark is more chewy and savory, which I LOVE! At least, on all my previous pork butts, that's how it comes out. Looking at this thing, I think it's going to be similar.

I can't wait to cut into it!!!!
                  Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; December 24, 2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jammin'!

• Pirate Scott
                    Pirate Scott commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yah Buddy! That looks Great.

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bet it's awesome. I know the feeling of getting that first one knocked out of the park. Great job.

I just texted my wife:

"This thing jiggles like Santa getting a lapdance!"

She was amused.

Comment

Looks like a great cook! Tell us how it tastes AFTER a proper Cambro hold ! More pictures too!

Congratulations!

Comment

I did pretty much the same cook a couple of days ago. Separated the point for dinner, but shared your concern about the thin parts of the flat. The point came off, of course, before the flat. Cambro'd the point for a few hours, but while waiting for the whole flat to finish I trimmed off the done edges and used them for appetizers. It did not suck at all!

Comment

Well, it was incredible! Juicy throughout (see pics below!), perfect bend test, perfect pull test. I had trouble getting slices thin enough to really win a competition, and it was a little cooler than I wanted - it held for about 3½ hrs, I should have thrown it in the oven for an hour at 170 or so, but oh well. You live and you learn with brisket, right? It definitely was incredible.

I need to learn to separate the muscles after cooking to get rid of that fat in between, and I need to trim the cap a little more, it was still a bit thick, but damn, I lost 50% of the weight as it is! lol

All told, it was one of my better experiments. I usually have some things I complain about and my wife gets a little exasperated at me, but this I had no real complaints about other than the above. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and all the help! And a 70-80 day wet brine was fine, the meat was incredible!

And now... to the pics!

Name:	20171224_180839-L.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	428581

Name:	20171224_180918-L.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	428582

My wife was TRYING to capture the massive amounts of juice running out of this thing, but it just didn't show up, I guess. It was quite literally just running everywhere!

Name:	20171224_181116-L.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	428583

This almost makes it look overcooked, as the flash does kinda wash it out a bit, because we have odd lighting angles in our kitchen from tract lighting. The smoke ring is there, but not super pronounced, but the flavor was great, just incredible.

Name:	20171224_181124_011-L.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	428584

This piece is a bit thicker than what is usually turned in for the judges, I think, but it's still tender enough to pass the bend/hang test easily, and holds under its own weight. And it pulled apart easily with the most minimal tug. Fabulous!

And finally....

Name:	20171224_181139-XL.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	428585
                        JUICY JUICY JUICY!!!

Comment

• kmhfive
                          kmhfive commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wonderful!

• Oakgrovebacon
                          Oakgrovebacon commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looks really good!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here