Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Rib Roast Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Rib Roast Advice

Bought a beautiful choice rib roast at Costco for the family Christmas dinner and need some advice on a couple of issues:

Purchased it today, 12/24 sell by date, 12/26 cook and serve date. Need to transport it over a 3 hour drive to my parents' house. Not sure if it will survive refrigerated until 12/26 or if I should trim, dry brine and freeze today and start thawing it on 12/25.

My dad has a new gasser I've never used before and I'm reluctant for the family dinner to be my inaugural cook on that grill. Considering oven roasting until it hits reverse sear IT and then sear it on the grill.

Welcome advice on both issues.

I'd freeze and thaw, since I don't trust "sell by" dates. On the cook side, oven is easy - not much equipment to learn, then sear on the grill (for politics sake).

Comment

• Jmccloskey659
      Jmccloskey659 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with EDF...just had a similar situation here in NY (lots of rain during a dinner party). Instead of spending a lot of time in the rain, roasted the NY strips in the oven after dry brining until 115 Degrees, then peppered, oiled, and seared on the outside Weber Spirit for 6 minutes and served....excellent with the exception of no pics ( shame on me!!). Learned everything from the Pit!!

You can leave it for weeks unwrapped on a rack in the fridge. Its called dry aging. Might put off some odor after a week or so, buts still good.

Comment

Leave it as it is. If you freeze it, it will never thaw in a day unless you use a water bath to accelerate it, and even then you will be spending Christmas day fussing over a roast. It will last just fine, and taste great. In fact, I started thawing my Christmas roast on Tuesday.

I'd do it in the oven as well. Personally I wouldn't bother to take it to a different oven, I'd sear it with the broiler.

Comment

Not sure what kind of gasser you'd be cooking on, but on my Weber Summit I've used the indirect method to first roast the meat (grate temp around 225-250*) to an internal temp of about 130* then reverse sear until I get the crust I like by turning up the sear zone burners. I also have a smoking box so I throw some pellets on during the cook for a little smokey profile. It's really as simple as that. Also done it with the rotisserie attachment, that really comes out good!! Probably doing pellet pooper this year, but gassers are really nothing more than an outdoor oven, so think of it that way.

As to aging, I bought my prime rib the day before yesterday, shrink wrapped it and have it in my cooling frig sort of wet aging as we speak. It's coming out Sunday for a salting then cooked Monday. Unless you never hear from me again, I don't see any issues with the roast going bad over a 6 day period. Just keep it in the safe zone and you should be alright imho.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
          Reds Fan 5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the advice, everyone. My biggest concern is keeping it in the safe zone on the three hour drive even in a good cooler. I think I'm going to give the dry brine in the refrigerator a shot and not freeze. Definitely going to do the oven. If I were using my own grill, I'd reverse sear. Searing with the broiler is a good idea. Thanks!

So ...... high end steakhouses take the rib roast and dry age it in a refrigerator for as long as 70 days. There is no need to freeze that rib roast you bought on the 21st if you plan to cook it on the 25th or 26th.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your advice on this topic. I would characterize the final result as a successful failure. First, chose to dry brine, not freeze, and transport on ice in a cooler. That worked out great. This was an indoor cook for several reasons. Unfortunately, it got away from me. Used an electric stove that was running hotter than I realized. Roast ended up well past medium rare (but still had some pink in the center). Fortunately, most of the crowd isn't into pink beef. A good cut of beef and Mrs O'Leary saved the day with great flavor. Everyone liked it. So, successful because the family enjoyed the meal. Failure because I should know better than to let a cook get away from me like that (and I made sure there is no photographic evidence).

A side benefit is this was the first time I had given Costco's whole roasts any consideration (we buy ground beef, ribs, brisket, and individual steaks there). After seeing the quality and price of their roasts and considering my knife collection, I don't think we will ever buy individual steaks again.

Happy New Year!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here