Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with dry aged beef trimmings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with dry aged beef trimmings?

Hi to all,

Didn’t know where to post this so posted it here (moderators feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place.) First time poster and long-time lurker. Had a WSM for years that turned out great BBQ but got older and wanted something simpler which led me to purchase a pellet grill. Love the "set it and forget it" convenience of the pellet grill. Thanks to the Amazing Ribs website, I have been able to smoke everything from brisket to pork shoulder and cure and smoke my own bacon. I am now attempting to dry age a rib eye roast to dry age my own steaks. Being of a frugal nature, I hate to through something out which leads me to my question. Is there any use for the trimmings left over from the dry aging process?

Thanks for your help,

Palen

I keep all my trimmings from my dry aging! They go right into my hamburger grind. Now that you have dry aged wonderful meat, get into grinding your own meats. You will find that the trimmings are magic in your home ground burgers.

Comment

• smokinp
      smokinp commented
      Editing a comment
      I also grind my own meats so thanks for the suggestion!

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Well there you go brother! I keep all my fats, just about everything. They mix in well when you need that extra fat content.

Lots of yummy goodness in them trimmings!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	426572

Comment

Any other suggestions?

Comment

I cain't think of a better usage, but am certainly open to suggestions/new
        techniques/information...
        I have not (yet) tried cubin' 'em up, usin 'em fer charcoal chimley lighter, yet, but it might conceivably work, to some degree.
        There is much science to be gleaned, here.

Comment

I barely trim. But you can put them into stock, chili, stews ...

Consider them a condiment. Or treat your pups.

Comment

Do you use a steak ager box? Or what do you use?

Comment

• smokinp
              smokinp commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm currently four days into my first attempt. No special equipment. Just a cookie sheet with salt on it to absorb the moisture, a rack, and the fridge set to 34-37 degrees. First try will be fourteen days as I want to treat myself to a steak New Years Eve...

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice! I look forward to your results!

Not sure how others dry age but I'm having good luck with the Umai dry age bags. Shrink wrap and stick in the frig ... job done !!!

Dry Bag Steak

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the way I do it. They're just easy. Threw a rib roast into the fridge tonight.

I use Umai bags myself. Works perfectly.

Comment

Here this guy is a little on the "crazy" side but he seems to be on to something;

Comment

• smokinp
                smokinp commented
                Editing a comment
                I would have never thought of that.

Watched Crazy Dave for a while. Pretty fun sometimes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here