Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with a Boneless Sirloin Tip Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a Boneless Sirloin Tip Roast

At Thanksgiving I cooked a rib roast on my Weber kettle basically following Meatheads recipe for prime rib. It came out very tender and juicy. I would like to do the same for Christmas but cant find (so far) a nice looking similar roast. I did find a good looking Sirloin Tip Roast. My plan would be to treat it the same by dry brining, using a good beef rub and cooking it in the kettle using indirect heat and then sear at the end. What differences can I expect between these two roasts? should I keep looking for a nice rib roast or am I just as likely to get a good result from the sirloin tip?

Make sure you truss it nice and tight, otherwise you will end up with some overcooked parts in addition to your perfectly cooked parts. Other than that, your plan sounds good to me.

Comment

SoCal Chris .... a Sirloin Tip roast will NOT cook like a rib roast. The Sirloin Tip is very lean, the Rib Roast is very fatty. Two very different cuts. You want a very different approach for each cut because of that.

I would highly recommend looking at Meathead’s Baltimore Pit recipe for the Sirloin Tip ..... You want to cook it fast, hot and only to rare/med rare at most .... slice thin, across the grain.

Comment

• SoCal Chris
        SoCal Chris commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what had me worried. I don't want to spend all the time cooking it low and slow and end up with shoe leather.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        SoCal Chris if you cook the Sirloin Tip Roast low and slow you are gonna have shoe leather brother. Look into the Baltimore Pit Beef recipe on the main AR site for inspiration

PS a rib roast is "prime rib" .... they mean the same cut .... a rib roast, aka a prime rib, is a roast cut from the primal rib of the cow.

A sirloin tip roast is cut from the headquarters, just adjacent to the sirloin.

Highly recommend this article

Everything you need to know about the different cuts of beef, all the primals as well as all the popular commercial cuts.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here