Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Chuckie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this has become an interesting cook. First part of the cook was nearly perfect. Temps holding well, blue smoke, meat coming up to temp at a good rate. Just as it went into the stall the weather changed. From no wind to 20mph gusts. Cooker. temps started jumping all over the place, burned more fuel than I expected. Been in the stall for over two hours. Bark was good at 163 IT so I decided to follow the Adrenaline BBQ method and went ahead and wrapped with beef broth. Going to be an interesting ride to the end of this cook...

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Even more interesting...IT was at 163 when I removed to wrap. Put probe back in (in the same spot) and IT is reading 149! Um, honey, dinner is going to be late.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You can always put it in the oven at 275°F or so after it's wrapped. At that point the meat doesn't care what the heat source is. It can't pick up any more smoke flavor because of the wrapping.

Thanks, fzxdoc. The oven is the back up plan but it appears to have finally powered through the stall (3 hour stall). Unless the family can't wait any longer, I'm going to try to let the cook go all the way on the Weber so I have a baseline. Didnt expect a three hour stall on a 3.5 lb Chuck. Pics to follow!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1C6E8D45-9FE3-49E9-9A4C-8A7BA8555EA0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	425613 Here are the final results:
      * 3.7# choice chuck dry brined overnight/BBBR
      * 26” kettle/SnS, KBB, oak chunks
      * Ambient temp 42 degrees most of cook
      * 3 hour stall
      * Lost track of avg cooker temp when winds kicked up and temps started jumping all over the place. Would guess avg was about 260.
      * Used ABC technique and wrapped at 161 IT, raised cooker to 300.
      * Was probe tender at 201 IT and 7.5 hrs on the cooker
      * Held in cooler for an hour
      * Good results (see pics). Moist, great flavor, just enough smoke. Family loved it. It didn’t pull easily so I chopped.
      * Burned a lot more fuel than I expected. Likely from wind and 260-300 temps.

Adjustments for next time: Eliminate chipotle from BBBR, take to 205 IT, hold in cooler for 2 hours.

This was my first but not last chuckie. Thanks, as always, for the guidance. Click image for larger version  Name:	0EC67EBA-045E-43CB-8D19-31DFF2B65F1D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.63 MB ID:	425612
      Last edited by Reds Fan 5; December 18, 2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• RandomAccess
        RandomAccess commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great and has made me hungry!

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, RandomAccess. And thanks for your tips in your earlier post.

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        You nailed it! Looks great!

Looks like success!! Sounds like you got a curve ball with the weather change. Kudo's for sticking it out and sticking with the Weber for the entire cook. Another experience under the belt!

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Frozen Smoke, it was fun to try a new cook. I was fortunate to have the day free to experiment and wait it out. I wanted to try the basic chuckie first. I'll try your beer, pepper, onion bath on a future chuckie.

Well if it means anything right now I'm at 180 IT and 8 hours on two chuckles under 3 lbs. my fuel consumption was crazy high also but my last few cooks it's been that way for some reason. I'm also cooking on a 26" weber kettle with SnS. Had to add more kbb at the 5 hour mark and temps have been bouncing from 220-260 but mostly below 250.
      So im feeling your pain... I just wrapped and moved it to my oven set at 250.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dadof3Illinois, I also had to add KBB at the five hour mark. I estimate I used a chimney and 2/3 in 7.5 hours. Once my IT hit 175 it moved up to 200+ quickly. Looking forward to your results.

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        They spent just over an hour in the cambro and came out awesome. Couple nice roasts!!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here