Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the smallest size prime rib roast that will work for 2 people using a PBC Jr. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would be the smallest size prime rib roast that will work for 2 people using a PBC Jr. ?

My wife is giving me a PBC Jr. this year and i'd like to do something like hanging a prime rib on Christmas Day with it. This year it's only the 2 of us and wondering if going for a roast in the 2 pound range like one of the local butchers recommends would be a mistake and cook too fast and be a disaster. Two pounds just doesn't seem wide enough. If it cooks similar to a full sized PBC I figure someone here has already encountered this problem and I can go from there but as of now I haven't a clue. What's the smallest poundage I can hang with some degree of success. I want to hang it, not grill it. I already have grills for that. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sgt Tyree; December 16, 2017, 09:36 PM. Reason: Clarifying that I want to use the hang method in the PBC

cook it like a cowboy cut ribeye

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter : Which in a PBC would be how? I edited my post to show that I wanted to hang it, not grill it.
      Last edited by Sgt Tyree; December 16, 2017, 09:37 PM.

Can't help on the PBC part. Sorry, but I like to reverse sear a good prime rib. For two folks, we keep it at about a three pounder. The three pounder was made for this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	424534

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	424535

Comment

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh no brother! Been around the patch a time or two. I think this was indeed the maiden voyage using the latest SNS LP. In fact I think it was. The DNG as well.

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      lonnie mac : Still looks incredible. Took to using the DnG recently inside the house for omelettes and other breakfast specialties. Not the best conductor of heat but lighter so it's easier to move around the heat source. Thanks for the great pictures.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Sgt Tyree , lonnie mac has a great way for keeping his grate clean--after a cook, he lets it soak in one of those water heater catch pans before scrubbing the softened stuff off. I followed his tip and am thrilled with the results.

Kathryn

I will be doing two rib roast. One with Weber kettle and the other with the RecTec pellet pooper.

Comment

Well this might not help But I’m doing this on the 22” kettle tomorrow. It was a 3 bone roast. After deboning and trimming it was 5-1/2 lbs. Click image for larger version  Name:	25F21054-7776-4506-B25D-9B02E07F2589.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	424565

Comment

Nice! Are you going to do the Cow Crust? Steve B

Comment

My thoughts if I were to do the same:

Since a good rule of thumb where there's lots of sides is 1/2lb raw weight per person (pulled pork lunch for instance) or 1lb if it's big eaters of if the meat's the star of the show like steak or roast, a 2lber is probably plenty of meat for 2 people, a 3lber better if you're big eaters or if there's limited sides. But a 2lb rib roast will look like a thick ribeye essentially. It'll most likely cook up like a huge steak in a PBC too.

A 4lber would likely give you a better chance at a cubical shaped hunk which would cook more evenly, more roast-like. Plus it'd give you plenty of leftovers for sammies or omelettes tomorrow or even the next day.

How to reverse sear it in a PBC, much less a mini, there's only one way and it'll be a pain!

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
            Sgt Tyree commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee ; Thank you.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I like Huskee 's thinking there, speaking as a member of a family of 2.

Great Question.
          I am planning to use my PBC Jr also, and cook a three bone trimmed Prime Rib. I want to put it on the grill over a pan with the rib bones so I can keep the juices.This will be only my forth time using this grill. My smoker PBC Jr, heats up to 300 to 325 so a cook at 225, I'm not sure how to do that. I hate people who write and have no answers, but maybe someone can read this and help us both.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here