Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can it be saved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can it be saved?

Getting ready for a houseful of company this weekend. Figured the best way to feed a crowd was brisket. Off to Costco for a Prime grade cut. Unfortunately, got too aggressive with trimming and cut most of the fat cap off. Is this salvageable? I know better than this, but we're all distracted with a death in the family.

Yes. You are fine. Intramuscular fat is what you need. You either have or you don't. The rest is in the cook. Dry brine and then rub that bad boy!! Pics please. I'm sorry for your loss.

You are golden!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree.

I’m very sorry for your loss.

The brisket will do fine. It will have more bark. That’s about it.

Comment

Inject. The go back and inject the flat with canola oil if you are worried. Dry brine and cook as normal.

Comment

I prefer to take off most of the fat. Good to go.

Comment

Save the fat, render it while the brisket cooks and when you are all done and just before it’s time to eat, heat the fat to at least 350 and pour slowly over the brisket to "fat flash" and crispify the bark (outside as this is messy).

Comment

Sorry for your loss. I am sure your cook will be fine, nobody likes the fat anyway.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. I’m sure it will all be good.

Comment

I am sorry for your loss. You got this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here